Real People Real Hunters ~ RealTree Camo

Name: Kenny McDonald
Harvest Location: LBL
Size: 8 Point
Shot Distance: Yards
Harvested With: Rifle
Story: "The weekend started by my brother and I carting our stands to our hunting spots and hanging them on Thursday evening. We didn't get back to the Blazer until about and hour after dark. On Friday my brother and one of my other hunting buddies left our vehicles at 3:30am. It was a nice quiet cold day. One where you could hear a deer coming from 100-200 yards away (at least when the wind wasn't blowing). By 5:20 I had settled in for what I hoped to be one fine hunt. I sat in my stand from 5:20 am until 5:30 pm. That was a long sit but at any minute I knew what kind of deer might just pop up. The action started off when behind me to my left I heard something coming up the ridge. It turned out to be a coyote. A little later a nice high racked 6 pointer passed in front of me down the ridge on the other side. Around 2:00 pm a single doe came from behind me and passed over the ridge to my left. As she passed I checked out her tarsal glands, and they didn't appear to be darkened at all. I was still hoping a buck would be trailing her - nope - nothing. Right before dark a spike came in from my right. It came to within about 30 yards of me - almost directly behind me and then turned around and went back the way he came. During the day Friday it actually sleeted at one point and drizzled a little rain on and off. By the time we got back to the Blazer Friday evening it was beginning to rain. It rained all night long and based on the radar on the Weather Channel it was going to be raining all day Saturday too. My hunting buddy killed a 4 pointer on Friday evening so he slept in on Sat. Him and my brother were only about 75 yards away from each other and didn't even know they were that close together. They had both gotten down around noon and moved to a different area and both picked the same spot. My brother and I headed out to our stands (in the rain) Saturday morning around 4:25am. I was setup and ready to go by 6:10am. It rained constantly and was a pretty miserable morning - that is until 9:45am when this bad boy appeared. I had just grunted a couple of times and put my call in my jacket pocket. I was looking slightly off to my right and saw a white flicker to the left of a big oak tree about 40 yards away from me. I was thinking to myself either I'm seeing things or I just possibly saw a deer's tail or maybe one of those freakin' squirrels. About that time this deer stepped out from behind that tree. He was looking right at me and I was sitting in my stand with my gun laying across it pointing to the left. I was thinking how in the world am I going to get my gun on this deer with him off to my right and this close to me. About that time he turned to his left (my right) and started walking and feeding. I scanned in front of him and saw a good sized oak tree. As soon as his head went behind that tree, in one motion I reached down and grabbed my gun and turned in my stand to get my gun on him. I picked him up in my scope and then moved to the next opening. As he stepped into the scope I squeezed the trigger. He did a 180 ran past me and began running down the ridge to my left. I could see his front legs dangling with the shoulder hit I put on him. I chambered a second round, and as he ran full speed straight away from me about 75 yards out I nailed him a second time. He piled up and it was all over except the 3 hour haul to get him out of there. This was an awesome hunt to say the least, and I can't wait to get back there."

[Close Window]