Real People Real Hunters ~ RealTree Camo

Name: DanR. Mathias
Date: 09/24/01
Harvest Location: Coffee
Size: 8 Point
Shot Distance: 22 Yards
Harvested With: Bow
Story: "Monday morning it was raining when I got up at 4 AM. So I stayed glued to the weather channel and decided it was time to go at 7 AM. I parked at my spot at the end of an old log road on the side of the mountain, changed into my hunting clothes, packed up and started into the woods at 7:45. As soon as I got into the woods I decided to put my release on, just in case , cause it was still raining and the ground was quite. So I started still hunting in as I was making my way to my stand site. As I aproached a bluff I really slowed down and glassed over the ridge every few steps. On the edge of the bluff I stopped and glassed for several minutes. WAIT - what was that? Off to my left something moving thru the scrub maples. I slipped my treestand of my back and moved up to a big tree to brake up my outline. It's a buck! It's a BIG BUCK!!! He was moving thru without a care in the world. I drew back and my shoulder gave out(old rotator cuff injury) and the bow tried to pull back but I gritted my teeth and got it broke over. He steped into a little opening and I said MAAAAA. He stopped with his head behind some brush but his vitals were wide open. Now how far is he? 20 yards-no but not 30 yards, I'll hold for 25 and I let the arrow go. He jumped the string and he was actully 22 yards so the arrow hit high. Smack dab in the spine-he dropped but started dragging himself down the mountain. (wait just a dadgum minute I have to drag this sucker back up) so off I go, run him down and put another arrow thru the lungs. I watch him expire (man I hate that) then I walk up to him and get my first real look at the rack. All of this took about 1 or 2 minutes and I never had time to get buck fever but I had it now and I had to sit down. After taking this photo and a few others I cleaned him and drug him back to my truck which took 2 hours and 15 minutes".

[Close Window]