• Help Support TNDeer:

$1000 Scope

nebucky1

Hi guys,
Been out of the game for a while now. Just want some advice on what scope to get. I used to have the gen1 pst viper and love it. As of now I'm leaning towards the Gen 2 model. All I want the scope for is a good long range target gun. Itll go on my fn TSR XP 300wsm. Thanx guys!!
P.s. I'll prolly be lucky to find a 1000 yards. Of course, ya never know. I say that because I wander if I really need ffp or sfp.
Thanx again

nebucky1":16jf0c44 said:
Hi guys,
Been out of the game for a while now. Just want some advice on what scope to get. I used to have the gen1 pst viper and love it. As of now I'm leaning towards the Gen 2 model. All I want the scope for is a good long range target gun. Itll go on my fn TSR XP 300wsm. Thanx guys!!
P.s. I'll prolly be lucky to find a 1000 yards. Of course, ya never know. I say that because I wander if I really need ffp or sfp.
Thanx again

I have the pst gen 2, 5-25x50 and love everything about except the low light target definition. It's a tank! Can't comment on the sightron but hear good things

For a grand if you look around you can probably find a gen1 razor 5-20. I have had the vipers and the razors and prefer the razor. You could also come close to a nightforce shv 5-20 for that price. I love extra magnification also but in reality 25x isn't needed for 1000.

ADR":1kl659tp said:
nebucky1":1kl659tp said:
Hi guys,
Thanx again

I have the pst gen 2, 5-25x50 and love everything about except the low light target definition. It's a tank! Can't comment on the sightron but hear good things
Do you have other high magnification scopes that you're comparing the light transmission of the Vortex to?

infoman jr.":7c0jn8ml said:
ADR":7c0jn8ml said:
nebucky1":7c0jn8ml said:
Hi guys,
Thanx again

Do you have other high magnification scopes that you're comparing the light transmission of the Vortex to?
Great question, I do have several leupolds (vxIIIs) and a couple Zeiss conquests. While I've never done a side by side test at same magnification at dusk (I live in a neighborhood), it seems subjectivity the pst gen 2 just doesn't have the clarity. I will try after season to take several out for evaluation. Curious to hear your thoughts on the quality of glass in the vortex.
Btw, you were spot on when I bought if about getting the ffp.

I just replaced my Viper Pst gen II 5-25 with the Golden Eagle 15-60x. I loved the Viper but just not quite enough magnification for long range matches. The Golden Eagle was 50% more money but I think I'm gonna love it this Spring. I was happy that I got all my money back on the Viper. It has good resale!

Latest posts

Back