• Help Support TNDeer:

150gr RN load in a 308

sneakboxer

Well now that i have a good shooting 165gr BT load i thought i play with a old "low tech" cheap bullet. I wanted a pointed style 150gr or a 180gr round nosed bullet but this is all they had at the time. I loaded up Hornady's 150gr round nose (30-30 bullet) on R-15. I went from 39.0gr to 46.0gr in 8 steps. Hopefully i find something that will work for those up close shots that I seem to use the most. I initially wanted to experiment with the terminal performance of the BT vs standard cup-n-core. The last few deer i shot with a BT were real dead if you know what i mean. I'm shooting for meat not carnage. Don't get me wrong tracking was easy and the critter did not feel a thing but geez.
Does anyone have any experience with this bullet at 308 velocity?
Have you had any issues to look out for?
Is a 2min group at 100yds reasonable?
I thought this pic really shows off the difference in designs.
P1010384.jpg

Thanks as always,

I would think that the 30-30 bullet was made to perform at 30-30 velocities, so if you push them at 308 velocities, you may get the same destructive results as the BT, or worse. I may be wrong in assuming this, so try it out and see how it works.

Ok, I don't see anything stating the bullet is anything more than a 30 cal, .308 dia.

It is not caliber specific..............I show being able to handload a .308 Win all the way down to 100 gr. bullet.

Not knowing what powder or exact amount you are using, 46 gr is on the low side of the charge scale. Mzl vol could be anywhere from 2650 to 2919 pending load and bullet.

I did some testing with my .300 Savage a few yrs back. I was given a '40s era Savage 99. My great uncle used it for 30 yrs and handed it down to me, he always used the 180 gr round nose over 46 gr of powder. The gun was a killing machine, cloverleaf patterns at 100 yds with peep sight.

Well, I thought about the 165 ballistic tips and the gun wouldn't hold a 4" pattern, no matter what the heck I tried. Went back to the round nose and the gun is back to overlapping holes. I guess you will have to try the load in the gun and see what happens.

Now, my new Rem. BDL in .300 Savage loves the ballistic tips, so all was not a waste.

Good luck

FDXX75

X 2 in what Fulldraw said.
You don't really need them pointy bullets around here much anyway. That's a good bullet, and your gun may surprise you with them Pumpkins on accuracy, and killing power with not too much meat destruction. :grin:

Longhunter said:
Round nose bullets are very effective on game, especially at ranges less that 100 yards. My 270 shoots 150 grain round nosed bullets very well. I have taken numerous deer and a few bears with it.

It is challenging and fun working up good loads. I generally hunt with the bullet/powder combo that is the most accurate from a given rifle. It's easy to get caught up in the high velocity mindset. Rarely are the highest velocities the most accurate loads.

The bullet you have chosen should perform well on game anywhere in the 2200-2700 fps range. Find the most accurate load in that range and enjoy it!

I have not run the 180's through the cronograph, but I do know it will flip a 140lb deer over backwards at 30 yds. No tracking either.....................

FDXX75

Thanks guys, Now if the wind would die down i'd send a few down range. Hornady published this data for the 308 using Reloader -15:
38.3gr 2300fps
45.4gr 2700fps
47.2gr 2800fps (max)
So i'm kinda thinking that it will be similar to a 30-30 but 100yds closer. AKA 308 at 100yds = 30-30 at the muzzle.
And we all know that the old 30-30 kills deer just fine.
I'll post once i get to the range.

from my Hornady manual it says they make three bullets that are desigened expressly for the 30-30 and "AND ITS FPS",,the 110 gr RN,the 150 gr RN and 170 gr FP,all three of these have blunt soft noses and should not be used over 30-30 speeds on game,,

which for the 150 RN is 2300 fps.

or if your shots are to be far enough that impact FPS can be 2300 or less.

mr.big said:
from my Hornady manual it says they make three bullets that are desigened expressly for the 30-30 and "AND ITS FPS",,the 110 gr RN,the 150 gr RN and 170 gr FP,all three of these have blunt soft noses and should not be used over 30-30 speeds on game,,

which for the 150 RN is 2300 fps.

or if your shots are to be far enough that impact FPS can be 2300 or less.

I'll go with you and your manual however at one time they along with Speer and Sierra made 150 an 180 RN for other .30cals along with those for use in 30/30,the later marked as such. Guess they changed things up an I missed it. ;) :grin:

all the 150 gr RN in the Hornady Manual are #3035 and it says it is designed for 30-30 speeds,,the 180 and 220 RN I am sure are tougher,,as the 338 250 gr RN,,

they may have made two seperate 150 RN at one time bu not now,,I dont have the speer and sierra books handy..

when hunting in the woods my brother keeps a 117 HRN in the chamber of his 257 Roberts and 3 110 NAB in the mag.

the 117 RN used to be factory loaded in 257 Weatherby Anno,,

all the 150 gr RN in the Hornady Manual are #3035 and it says it is designed for 30-30 speeds,,the 180 and 220 RN I am sure are tougher,,as the 338 250 gr RN,,

they may have made two seperate 150 RN at one time bu not now,,I dont have the speer and sierra books handy..

when hunting in the woods my brother keeps a 117 HRN in the chamber of his 257 Roberts and 3 110 NAB in the mag.

the 117 RN used to be factory loaded in 257 Weatherby Anno,,

I don't have mine handy either.

I think my uncle may have an old partial box of the tougher ones around in his stuff.

Remington and Win both used to load and offer RN bullets for other 30 and some other calibers.Unlce just finshed loading up a friend some 270 Win with some Rem CL RN's he had around for a while. Guy loves them and has taken a few deer the box he finshed off ,uncle might have trouble on his hands next around.

I emailed Hornady and this is what they said "the bullet is designed to withstand muzzle velocities up to 2500 fps."

Since santa is bringing me a crony i'll slow down and see what i got then. I know the BTs will work. Until then i guess the RNs will just kill paper.

PS anyone want to buy 79 bullets?

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back