• Help Support TNDeer:

.223 for deer in Tn?

Poor shooting is poor shooting, doesn't matter what its with.

I've had them run on lung shots from a 300gr .458" at 1950fps just like with anything else. 45/70 doesn't knock them down any different than anything else I've ever used.

CNS shots drop

Lung/heart shots usually run
I understand but I've knocked more straight down with .300 gr. hollow point 45-70 than any other weapon I've hunted with . I hunt with a Ruger M77 7mm mag now and wouldn't hunt with anything else .

I understand but I've knocked more straight down with .300 gr. hollow point 45-70 than any other weapon I've hunted with . I hunt with a Ruger M77 7mm mag now and wouldn't hunt with anything else .

Good deal, that's not been my experience but experiences vary.

I had a Ruger 77 in 7mag and moved it along. It shot good but at the ranges I hunt the only thing I gained was more recoil.

Once I started shooting the shoulder instead of behind it I had more deer drop. I've never had a deer drop on any shot that I didn't break shoulders. I seem to be in the minority on that but so far it's never happened with any cartridge/bullet combo.

I had a Ruger 77 in 7mag and moved it along. It shot good but at the ranges I hunt the only thing I gained was more recoil.

Once I started shooting the shoulder instead of behind it I had more deer drop. I've never had a deer drop on any shot that I didn't break shoulders. I seem to be in the minority on that but so far it's never happened with any cartridge/bullet combo.
I've had too many bad experiences with shoulder shooting . Bullet deflection and a maimed deer you probably won't find . I'm behind the shoulder and don't care to track aways . I shoot the Winchester Balistic Silvertips other rounds I didn't like in the 7mm mag.

I've had too many bad experiences with shoulder shooting . Bullet deflection and a maimed deer you probably won't find . I'm behind the shoulder and don't care to track aways . I shoot the Winchester Balistic Silvertips other rounds I didn't like in the 7mm mag.

My experiences have been different on the shoulders, I've never had a bullet not break them. From 80gr 6mm through 405gr .458's.

I am a ballistic tip fan. I think they're one of the best bullets made for deer and hogs.

People would do much better if they shot something they could manage. But you have those people that only shoot 3 shots a year and think they're good to go. Recoil is not a friend but most will never admit it.

My experiences have been different on the shoulders, I've never had a bullet not break them. From 80gr 6mm through 405gr .458's.

I am a ballistic tip fan. I think they're one of the best bullets made for deer and hogs.
Maybe just my unfortunate times but I've lost two bucks I know from shooting them in the shoulder....both by mistake. One in Lewis Co. broke the shoulder I hit but must have missed vitals . We tracked that buck for probably a mile . Came back after lunch and I hunted for him all evening just quad searching...blood just finally clotted up. Shoulder was definitely broke as I seen him good run off bled like a son of a gun for a long way then like I said just clotted up . Another one was with a muzzleloader and found bone little blood but no buck and shoulder was broke . I have no luck shoulder shooting ....don't mind tracking them though 👍 But with that said I might try a high shoulder shot if I'm where I think I might have trouble finding a deer .

I'm usually in thick and steep, I consider tracking overrated, lol

I like short, quick handling rifles that are accurate so I can plop one through a hole in the brush, if there is one.

Attachments

• 1727402180646.webp
    1727402180646.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2672.webp
    IMG_2672.webp
    494.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1910.webp
    IMG_1910.webp
    445.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0168.webp
    IMG_0168.webp
    519.7 KB · Views: 1
Try a Federal Premium Nosler Partition. I shoot behind the shoulder as well. The Partition will leave a drain hole with an easily trackable blood trail. Most don't make it out of sight but if they do they are no problem to track.

People would do much better if they shot something they could manage. But you have those people that only shoot 3 shots a year and think they're good to go. Recoil is not a friend but most will never admit it.
A Limbsaver recoil pad will solve a lot of the recoil issue.

Latest posts

Back