• Help Support TNDeer:

.223 for deer in Tn?

Poor shooting is poor shooting, doesn't matter what its with.

I've had them run on lung shots from a 300gr .458" at 1950fps just like with anything else. 45/70 doesn't knock them down any different than anything else I've ever used.

CNS shots drop

Lung/heart shots usually run
I understand but I've knocked more straight down with .300 gr. hollow point 45-70 than any other weapon I've hunted with . I hunt with a Ruger M77 7mm mag now and wouldn't hunt with anything else .

I understand but I've knocked more straight down with .300 gr. hollow point 45-70 than any other weapon I've hunted with . I hunt with a Ruger M77 7mm mag now and wouldn't hunt with anything else .

Good deal, that's not been my experience but experiences vary.

I had a Ruger 77 in 7mag and moved it along. It shot good but at the ranges I hunt the only thing I gained was more recoil.

Once I started shooting the shoulder instead of behind it I had more deer drop. I've never had a deer drop on any shot that I didn't break shoulders. I seem to be in the minority on that but so far it's never happened with any cartridge/bullet combo.

I had a Ruger 77 in 7mag and moved it along. It shot good but at the ranges I hunt the only thing I gained was more recoil.

Once I started shooting the shoulder instead of behind it I had more deer drop. I've never had a deer drop on any shot that I didn't break shoulders. I seem to be in the minority on that but so far it's never happened with any cartridge/bullet combo.
I've had too many bad experiences with shoulder shooting . Bullet deflection and a maimed deer you probably won't find . I'm behind the shoulder and don't care to track aways . I shoot the Winchester Balistic Silvertips other rounds I didn't like in the 7mm mag.

I've had too many bad experiences with shoulder shooting . Bullet deflection and a maimed deer you probably won't find . I'm behind the shoulder and don't care to track aways . I shoot the Winchester Balistic Silvertips other rounds I didn't like in the 7mm mag.

My experiences have been different on the shoulders, I've never had a bullet not break them. From 80gr 6mm through 405gr .458's.

I am a ballistic tip fan. I think they're one of the best bullets made for deer and hogs.

People would do much better if they shot something they could manage. But you have those people that only shoot 3 shots a year and think they're good to go. Recoil is not a friend but most will never admit it.

My experiences have been different on the shoulders, I've never had a bullet not break them. From 80gr 6mm through 405gr .458's.

I am a ballistic tip fan. I think they're one of the best bullets made for deer and hogs.
Maybe just my unfortunate times but I've lost two bucks I know from shooting them in the shoulder....both by mistake. One in Lewis Co. broke the shoulder I hit but must have missed vitals . We tracked that buck for probably a mile . Came back after lunch and I hunted for him all evening just quad searching...blood just finally clotted up. Shoulder was definitely broke as I seen him good run off bled like a son of a gun for a long way then like I said just clotted up . Another one was with a muzzleloader and found bone little blood but no buck and shoulder was broke . I have no luck shoulder shooting ....don't mind tracking them though 👍 But with that said I might try a high shoulder shot if I'm where I think I might have trouble finding a deer .

I'm usually in thick and steep, I consider tracking overrated, lol

I like short, quick handling rifles that are accurate so I can plop one through a hole in the brush, if there is one.

Attachments

• 1727402180646.webp
    1727402180646.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2672.webp
    IMG_2672.webp
    494.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1910.webp
    IMG_1910.webp
    445.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0168.webp
    IMG_0168.webp
    519.7 KB · Views: 1
Try a Federal Premium Nosler Partition. I shoot behind the shoulder as well. The Partition will leave a drain hole with an easily trackable blood trail. Most don't make it out of sight but if they do they are no problem to track.

A Limbsaver recoil pad will solve a lot of the recoil issue.
Sometimes. But it's not a cure all. Fact is, anyone is gonna shoot a 223, 243, 7-08 and those in that category light years better than any magnum. Not getting your shoulder kicked off at every shot is gonna allow you to practice more, and also they're much cheaper to shoot, allowing people to practice more. Biggest misconception I see is the lack of practice.

Ive never understood the recoil argument, its never bothered me up to a 338, ive not shot anything bigger. I have a 300 and 7stw i can shoot all day long with no problems(other than price😁)

I've never let the recoil of a gun keep me from shooting it . I'm not a big man either .
I haven't either, but you'll shoot a lighter recoiling better than one with a ton of recoil. And more. Not to mention how many of us got started on rifles we had no business shooting, but our parents were poor so we used what we had at home. How many of us got scoped, developed a flinch, or other bad habit?

Ive never understood the recoil argument, its never bothered me up to a 338, ive not shot anything bigger. I have a 300 and 7stw i can shoot all day long with no problems(other than price😁)
If the rifle is designed properly recoil isn't terrible on most rifles. Worst rifle I've ever shot was a 7mag in a 700 adl. 3 shots and I was done. I had a 300wm in a bergara and shot it 35 times at a shoot with MUP. Recoil was manageable, but it started wearing on me at the end of the day. I've got smokeless gun that packs a pretty rough punch. When I was looking for loads I shot it a bunch, and after about 10 shots it's time for something else. It's just a fact you shoot lighter recoiling rifles better and more. But people have a mentality that if you hit a pie plate 3 times at 100 yards you're good to go. They have no idea what their rifle will do at distance. How many threads are started everyday with people asking about drops of their setup, simply because they won't shoot. I couldn't tell you how many rifles I've sighted in for others because they won't shoot. People don't wanna put the work in, just reap the rewards.

If the rifle is designed properly recoil isn't terrible on most rifles. Worst rifle I've ever shot was a 7mag in a 700 adl. 3 shots and I was done. I had a 300wm in a bergara and shot it 35 times at a shoot with MUP. Recoil was manageable, but it started wearing on me at the end of the day. I've got smokeless gun that packs a pretty rough punch. When I was looking for loads I shot it a bunch, and after about 10 shots it's time for something else. It's just a fact you shoot lighter recoiling rifles better and more. But people have a mentality that if you hit a pie plate 3 times at 100 yards you're good to go. They have no idea what their rifle will do at distance. How many threads are started everyday with people asking about drops of their setup, simply because they won't shoot. I couldn't tell you how many rifles I've sighted in for others because they won't shoot. People don't wanna put the work in, just reap the rewards.
Alot of that has to do with laziness as well. I know where all my centerfires hit out 600 which is far as my range goes. Dont get me wrong ofcourse most people will shoot a 243 etc better because they dont choose proper fitting rifles and refuse to practice enough to be proficient. I wish i could shoot every day all day, i just love it that much!! Some of my neighbors will probably be glad when i am no longer able to😂

Alot of that has to do with laziness as well. I know where all my centerfires hit out 600 which is far as my range goes. Dont get me wrong ofcourse most people will shoot a 243 etc better because they dont choose proper fitting rifles and refuse to practice enough to be proficient. I wish i could shoot every day all day, i just love it that much!! Some of my neighbors will probably be glad when i am no longer able to😂
My neighbors thanked me for getting a suppressor lol. Now that my youngest has taken a liking to shooting jugs we'll shoot more often

In the gun shop today and a guy told me he was stepping up to a 300 win from the 7 rem mag. Said the 7 just can't knock them down, they always run, so he's stepping to the 300. He laughed at me using a 6.5 Grendel, 260 rem, 708, etc

Lots of people would benefit from less cartridge, more practice, and to study some deer anatomy.
No size of round a person use if you hit a deer anywhere in the body the deer will run . Only way to drop in their tracks is a neck or in the back bone shot . Now I never hunted in fields only wooded area . All my shot where not long, about 30 yards . I can say for the last 29 years all neck shot no meat massed up

No size of round a person use if you hit a deer anywhere in the body the deer will run . Only way to drop in their tracks is a neck or in the back bone shot . Now I never hunted in fields only wooded area . All my shot where not long, about 30 yards . I can say for the last 29 years all neck shot no meat massed up
Nope, shoulders will bang flop em also

Latest posts

Back