• Help Support TNDeer:

3 months until a duodecennial….

Like I said, mentally this is pretty taxing. Not from a stressful standpoint but from a stimulus. So, let me back up to Wednesday, Day 6 afternoon.

We go and pull the cams. It's a long and bumpy pickup drive back n forth but we make it. As we are practically pulling into camp, up ahead of us we see an elk running through the sage. "Elk!", then "bull!!!".
A nice bull is running behind an elk (intial thoughts was a bull chasing a cow). We don't stop, just keep cruising along to camp. We bail out, I grab bow and release and take off running down the two track by camp to where I think they headed. It's mixed timber at the foothills with cattle in it.

I get close to a clearing and stop. I see moo cows running my way, "sweet" I think to myself, dumb luck might actually play out here. Here comes the first elk, I range it (100+ yards) so I stand by a tree to see what plays out next. I thought I had seen small antlers on it but wasn't sure. Anyways, I wait and the bull never comes through. Oh well, that was exciting anyways.

Making my way back to OldFussnFeathers I thought I heard a bugle behind camp. Get up to him, we both hear it. Seriously, bugling elk right behind camp? No freaking way. We get back to camp, I shoot my bow and the elk bugles a couple more times.

We gotta go after them. We pack light and head up.

We get to a high point so we can hear and see. We pinpoint the bugle and slowly ease that way. It's real cliffy and the wind is kicking a tad. We get to one spot and I ease over. Bedded down below me at 30 yards is a bull. I ease into position, I get a little closer to lessen the angle and try to see better (wind is perfect and he is facing away). It's a younger looking bull with light antlers, I contemplate the "give me" but his vitals are behind some brush. Meanwhile, the other bull is still bugling.
I back away up to OldFussnFeathers, I decide to bugle to the other bull with hopes he would smell the one below. We play back n forth but he isn't moving, he is also too far away to work but I didn't know what else to do.
I give the small bull a second thought so I ease back down. Another bull had come in silent! This one was good. Well under 30 yards but also behind some brush. No dice, this one eased on lower so I looked back at the small one. By this point he had seen my movement and was up. He didn't spook but wasn't sticking around either, he bounced but fortunately in the opposite direction of the other bugles.

The one below was still screaming. So down we go. Find a sweet set up and start calling. He is fired up and sounds like he is coming. Then another bull fires off lower than him. It sounds like they are just moving around back n forth and ignoring us.

Sunset is closing in. So we move a little lower. We get to the edge of the meadow and hear the bull deeper into the timber.
I knell down and when I do, I see the back of a bedded elk. Then giant antlers! Sub 20 yards!!!! He spots us and stands up, OldFussnFeathers sees his body as he bounces out. Big!!!

Dang it, how did that happen. Then all of a sudden another bull screams, then another! These dudes are in their beds screaming back n forth at each other. The whole time convincing us we had one, maybe two bulls working our way.

Nope, we know of at least 6, most likely 7 bulls no more than .5 mile behind camp. Seriously? How crazy would that be to kill a bull right behind camp? That sounds too easy, would never happen but would be a cool story. So, on the rather short walk downhill to camp we discuss the epic experience. A bull nest right behind camp.

No pics from that experience, you just gotta believe us. I'm glad someone was with me because I still can't believe it happened.

Bouncing back to the future. Tellico did a bang out job on dinner. I was losing weight before he got here, now I'm gaining it back. 😎

IMG_6498.webp

Last edited:
Thursday evening, day 7.

We decide to go to the "bull nest", for obvious reasons.

We head straight up behind camp. I honestly cannot remember if we heard a bugle (OldFussnFeathers might remember) or if we just stopped behind the rocks and glassed. Either way, we found some elk right off the bat.
The spot was a little hidden bowl we had walked through the night before. Wind was in our face and we were hidden by some big boulders overlooking it. Great set up and if one was rifle hunting it was absolutely perfect. Furthest shot would be sub 300 yards.

A cow down in the bowl.
IMG_6466.webp

We start to spot more n more elk. So, I move over to the left a bit on another rock next to a pine tree. This gave me an opportunity to shoot below me.
More elk start appearing, then we spot the bull. He is big! As evening progresses he starts to get active and doesn't like having his cows up and moving, this gets him moving around the bowl and bugling.
Luck starts to happen when some cows/calf's start our way. The bull disappears, then a few minutes later we hear sticks breaking. OldFussnFeathers says "here he comes!", my heart skips a beat then I see him. Headed right our way, of course he cuts up a little and rounds some cows up. Then some more luck, he starts coming my way.
The sucker had two options, so my luck runs dry when he takes the route furthest away.
Just standing there, all I can do is watch as a giant 6x7 walks perfectly broadside by me at 87 yards.
An unbelievable experience to watch that unfold.

He makes his way back up a little and beds down. As I'm glassing him I notice a new elk. It's a small forky type elk, barely above his ears. That was the same elk that came through camp the day before. I knew I had seen antlers, I suppose the bigger bull was running him.
Just as we are watching them, the big bull stands up, let's out a wild bugle then decides to chase the forky off. He runs him up the ridge and to who knows where.

The sun is setting as we watch the cows filter up. The big bull shows back up but this time has more cows. By the end of the night we counted 15 cows, that sucker is gonna be busy.

Our consolation prize was a beautiful sky line of a big bull herding his cows.
IMG_6468.webp

Our walk back to camp was in complete awe. Another amazing experience. I ask OldFussnFeathers where he thought we should hunt Friday morning, he said "I don't think we have an option", implying right where we had just left😎

Friday am day 8,
We climb up behind camp. Stop at the bowl where the big herd was the night before. We wait until sunrise, glass and listen. Nothing.

We discuss our next move and in the far distance we hear a bugle. So, we make our way down into the bowl and back up the other side.

We arrive at a rock outcropping on a ridge. Down below in the flats we glass up some elk coming out of a creek bottom. I decide to rip out a locator bugle and one fires back immediately. He sounded close enough to play with. We move to the opposite side of the rocks looking below us. I mimic his bugle and ask OldFussnFeathers how far he thinks the elk is, no sooner than I say that elk fires back with a long chuckle and a squirrelly type bugle. Poor dude must have had a long night chasing the single ladies.
We look at each other and the same thought comes to us "that close!"

I drop down and take my pack off, knock an arrow and range a pine tree in front of me. As soon as I get the range I see the bull rounding the end of the rock outcropping we are tuck in. Wind and sun in his face and coming right at us!

Our vantage point from the rock outcropping where we glassed the elk down.
IMG_6495.webp

The bull is coming in and following the path I was suspecting. Just like a turkey, these dudes can pinpoint the exact spot they hear you from.
I have a pine tree in front of me a few yards off the outcropping and a dead tree and the lone pine is 35 yards.
As soon as the bull walks in front of first pine tree, I come to full draw. I wait for him to clear the dead tree and to me, it appears he slows his walk and sorta bristles up. I release.

At first I think I smoked him, it felt great. Then after the follow through it looks like it sailed right over his back. If I'm missing, I'm missing low 99.9999% of the time. I just wasn't positive if I had missed or hit but I knew it wasn't the double lung I had imagined happening, I'm surprised the bull didn't spook from my potty mouth after that shot.
He trots out and makes a half moon, stops at a slightly quartering away 60 yards out. I had already knocked another arrow and settled on him. Everything just felt perfect so I released.

I was blocked by the wind while I was tucked in the rock so I didn't consider it. With a quartering shot I put my pin a little back. Those two factors sent the arrow way far back and I knew it immediately when I seen the impact.
I picked my bugle tube up and started bugling at him. He trotted about 70 yards and stopped in view of OldFussnFeathers. He said he just stood there a few seconds and walked off.

I knew then my hit was far back and my first one was a miss😞

Such an adrenaline rush. I've trained hard core all summer. Shot my bow more than I ever have, played through every scenario I could imagine, yet at crunch time "getting caught in the moment" won.

Fortunately, OldFussnFeathers had pulled his phone out and recorded it from his angle. Everything I thought that had happened was confirmed from his angle. I had even released the arrow as the bull was walking the first time. Rookie mistake.

Here is right before the first arrow release. You can hear on the video a loud noise, my arrow or limb hit something. Apparently I wasn't clear like I had thought.
IMG_6531.webp

I cussed myself internally for a while and made a decision to back out.

Once I made my decision I sent the video to "the team" for them to give me their opinions. I also sent it to fulldraw, because you know, we used to be besties and all 🙄

Screenshot of second shot. Notice arrow in top right screen and the bulls angle. The angle is a little more from my shot location.
IMG_6533.webp

Everyone of us pretty much came to the same conclusion on the second shot. BB was able to play it on his TV and circled where he thought the impact was.

Resized_Screenshot_20240920-093545_1_1726843499733.webp

We discussed the possibility of me hitting an artery. I was convinced stomach/intestines with a slight chance of liver. I just didn't think the angle was enough.

I went back to camp and did some chores. Talked with full draw and "the team". I made a decision to wait until the next morning to go looking. Temps would be fine but coyotes and bears are a possibility, so is bumping a gut shot elk and never finding him. Tellico was brining his pup who could help.

I watched that video a million times and fulldraw told me he couldn't just leave without examing the shot sight. I had almost convinced myself I missed the second shot. Talked with BB about possibly missing too.
Before we came down the mountain we briefly looked for my arrow and blood. It was a Quick Look because if the elk was bedded I didn't want to risk it. I didn't see anything.
So back up we went, 3.5 hours after the shot. This time it was hands n knees and OldFussnFeathers guiding while he stood at shot location.

No arrow but we did find blood. Dark red. Definitely not artery, no signs of guts, but the possibility of meat now existed. I followed it for 75 yards to the exact spot OldFussnFeathers last seen him, that was the last blood and the timber started to get thick.

It was time to pull out and give him 20 plus hours. If it was liver and nobody/nothing bumped him, he would be dead in the timber.

The limited blood I had to work with.
IMG_6472.webp

The drive home is long but this one was longer. I had to leave camp, I don't trust myself to not go back in looking for him. I needed something to keep me busy and we needed a shower and laundry day badly.
Needless to say I didn't sleep but the homemade enchiladas my wife made that night and shower helped.

Off to sleep I went, knowing full and well what I would dream about. Me f'n my first elk….

Last edited:
Reflecting on that morning I wouldn't change much. Both shots felt great. Yeah, I know 60 is a poke but 1.) I had been shooting 65 all summer 2.) I wanted to put another arrow in this dude in case the first one was a hit

I would have cow called him to stop him. In my mind he did, I was so tunnel vision on the shot I neglected the other important aspects of it.

I should have remembered the wind. It always blows out here and I knew the direction but with the rock blocking it I had forgotten all about it.

I hated the second shot wasn't perfect. Hindsight, if I knew 💯 I missed the first and had time to fully digest, I might have not taken the second shot. Still, I felt solid and confident, I wouldn't have released if I didn't.

Here is the video. I watched it a million times, cussed myself a million times and slept like crap knowing that elk was hurt and wasn't going to die quickly. I know things happen but it's a heck of a lot easier when someone else screws up.

Latest posts

Back