• Help Support TNDeer:

#3 Takes a Dirt Nap

Grizzly Johnson

at AEDC wma thanks to a load of Hevi-13 Mag. Blend.

I normally don't hunt in afternoons just because I have most of my luck in early to mid morning. Well I was off work today and decided to just get out and go since there are only two weekends left for me..... as windy as it was, I wasn't really expecting to see or hear anything.

Got there at around noon, set up in a burnt off area along a trail intersection. Sat and called for a few hours every so often. A coyote came by but wanted no part of it after winding me. I got tired and decided to go look around and see if the fields were grown up or had been burnt off also. Driving about a mile down the road I come to the first field. It has been burnt a while back but has bushes and sage grass still sticking up. I catch a glimpse of something and determine it is atleast 2 turkeys.

I look at the situation and decide to try to circle them and get ahead since they seem to be heading from one woods corner to the next one across the field..... I keep thinking to myself they will probably come back to the closer one. Well I get in front of them so I hope..... they aren't anywhere to be seen..... had they passed me already? I belly crawl into the field and peek over the hill in the middle..... there in the sage grass I spot the two birds feeding about 100 yards away...... I yelp and they look..... two toms..... one starts to strut but doesn't seem to want to play. Second problem, they have begun to feed back to the first woods corner...... dang it...

Well I back track and ease back into the woods where they are heading. I am walking along trying to be quick but quiet. All of a sudden I look up and there 40 yards in front of me are 3 hens scratching in the leaves. How they didn't bust me I will never know. I took a knee and waited. I hoped they would draw the two toms into the woods with them..... After about 20 minutes they started moving away to my left. I pondered moving with them to keep them in sight just in case the toms joined them farther down the tree line. I was just about to move when I caught movement to my right. Both toms had eased into the woods not 35 yards away. I eased my gun up and toward them..... the first bird saw something and started to back track himself. The second bird wasn't sure what was going on.... I picked out a shooting lane and when he stepped forward into it, ole faithful roared and another bird was on the ground.

20lbs, 10.5" beard (half of the thickness was gone due to beard rot) 1.25" spur & 1.375" spur

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

Latest posts

Back