• Help Support TNDeer:

.308 125 speer tnt hollow point for deer?

Bobby Williamson said they worked slowed down some,,I never tried them but would not hesitate to take a shot at the next WR with the 125 NBT at 27-2800 fps

yes i have tried them and they work great. Shot them out of a 308 around 3000 fps, very accurate. Also have a friend that shoots them in a 300 wsm at 3500 fps.

The 125 speer TNT bullet has a very small hole and is very sharp pointed. the regular speer 125 hp has the large hole but the TNT does not.

reloaderman said:
yes i have tried them and they work great. Shot them out of a 308 around 3000 fps, very accurate. Also have a friend that shoots them in a 300 wsm at 3500 fps.

BTW all the deer shot with the WSM have been DRT. Very impressive bang flops! :grin:

the reason i asked was i dropped my regular deer rifle the other day a did'nt have time to reset my scope so i grabbed my yote rifle , a rem 74 auto i loaded some 125 tnt's for, it shoots 3/4 groupes so its fine in the woods, i havent been seeing any deer so i wasn't worried about shooting anything, Well 7:30 a nice 6 point came in and i shot him. He did a back flip, scooted about 10 yards and was done. The bullet went in one shoulder and was just under the skin on the other side. I have shot 125 BT for years and have never seen this much damage. it jellied the whole far side.

Two potential problems come up with that weight/diameter- number one , as mentioned above, is a terrible ballistic coefficient. The 2nd is a horrible sectional density which directly corresponds to penetration and structural integrity of the bulletm no doubt it will kill a whitetail deer just fine under normal circumstances, but there are so many better choices out their for .308.

I've killed deer with a .218 Bee and several with a .22 Hornet. Just because I did doesn't mean that these are great choices for deer. I had real good performance out of 130 g. Speer HPs out of my Ruger .308 back in the late '70s and early '80s. Yep, they can give some impressive "bang flops," but they are not my bullet of choice. I've had bullets fail on deer, especially heavy-bodied bucks. Got lucky and retreived them all, but some were tough tracking jobs. I prefer exit wounds.

Other's comments about sectional density are valid. All that being said, I wouldn't want to try to drive a TNT from back to front, or break a shoulder on the deer of a lifetime if those were the only shots I got.

My most accurate .308 round out of my encore is the 168 grain hollow point custom match ammo from Hornady.

I don't like buying them, but I sure like shooting them at deer.

Try and keep the TNT away from the shoulder aim for the lungs. However, I have seen this bullet kill a few deer through the shoulders @ 3,500+ft/s and all have been very impressive Bang Flops! I watched a 130# 7pt take a TNT through the point of the shoulder quartering towards me @ 160yds the buck looked like you picked him up by the back legs and slammed him down on his chin with his head bouncing like a basketball. Performance on the internal organs was impressive, heart and lungs were nothing but jelly with copper, lead, and bone pieces all over opposite side ribcage. Several doe's have met the same fate with shot's behind the shoulder.

both deer i shot where in the shoulder. The last one broke both shoulders and exited the other side. This bullet does a lot better job than the nosler BT. In the woods most of my shots are less than 100 yards, bc & sd are not big factors that close.

Ive used it out of a Win Model 70 300 Win Mag at 3100 fps
and now use it and the 130 Speer HP from my .308 Savage. I have taken quite a few deer with the 125 gr TNT and only one went more than "3 feet".Velocity isnt recomended over 3100 from what ive seen in the specs and some shooters that said they had seen them pushed tooo hard and "come apart" in flight.
I think accuacy is real good .All deer taken were pass throughs of one sort or another save a 110 lb fork horn that caught the bullet in rear ham from the inside.
As stated above in one way or another bullet placement with the TNT should be a priority and I would advise against shots better made with a better bonded and heavier bullet.
I load the TNT now in a Savage Model 10FP over 47 gr of IMR4064 using CCI BR primers,OAL IS 2.615 in my rifle.When the 4064 is used up I am thinking of going to the 4895 or 4085 IMR ??? Have to excuse me I havent been in front of the bench in a long time as I dont shoot much anymore.

Latest posts

Back