• Help Support TNDeer:

.410 duck load idea

Grouse

I just wanted to run this by some folks with reloading experience.

So If I were to uniformly trim/ remove the crimp from .410 target loads

Remove lead shot and wadding

Replace with a tps wad and tungsten of an equal weight of previous shot/ wad combo.

Then finish with a roll crimp with overshot card ( I imagine the roll crimp would generate less pressure than a star crimp and I'm fine with that)

Are there any safety or performance concerns with this idea?

I've already got a ton of bird loads and not super interesting in buying a reloader/components.

Replace with a tps wad and tungsten of an equal weight of previous shot/ wad combo.

Then finish with a roll crimp with overshot card ( I imagine the roll crimp would generate less pressure than a star crimp and I'm fine with that)

I've already got a ton of bird loads and not super interesting in buying a reloader/components.
Not a good idea to not follow a load recipe to the letter. People get seriously hurt doing stuff without following proven loads. My advice is DO NOT DO IT please 🙏

I wouldn't trust my face to "I imagine"

Do not do it. Buy your tss from Hal Abbot and I know for a fact he's got some incredible tss load data for both the 2-1/2" and 3" 410. Buy your shot from him and he'll give you the data.

DON'T. Lead compresses and doesn't build the pressure steel or tss does. Different powders are used specifically for each load and type of shot.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. If it sounds too easy it usually is. I guess I'll start looking into reloaders and such.

In the meantime if there's anyone within an hour or so of Cumberland County that is a knowledgeable shotgun reloader and wouldn't mind to show me the ropes I'd love to get together to speed up the learning curve.

As others have said, DO NOT simply replace the lead shot with tungsten. All of the .410 tungsten loads I have tried use a slow burning powder — usually a ball powder designed for magnum pistol rounds or Hodgden lil' gun. .410 loads are small, but because of the narrow bore diameter, the shot column is relatively tall, meaning more surface area, meaning higher pressures.

I know you said you didn't want to but a reloader and components, but you really don't need a reloader. Just hulls, powder, wads, and something to crimp the hulls (a small drill press and roll crimper bit works beautifully). The .410 loads typically don't use odd components (cork, felt, nitro cards, etc.). Just weigh/pour the powder, insert hull, weigh/pour/tamp shot, and crimp.

Latest posts

Back