• Help Support TNDeer:

410 squrriels

cecil30-30

Picked up a tristar viper g2 semi auto 410 with the intent of letting my son and daughter shoot their first squirrels this year with it. I know ammo supply isn't the best. What's the recommended load? I assume #4,5,or 6 in 3 inch? I've only been able to find #6 3 inch. I did pick up a box of 3 inch #7.5 yesterday. Also what choke should I be using? Full?

Parents gave me a 410 for Christmas one year....long time ago. It was a Stevens full choke. I had the hardest time with that gun taking squirrel. Just not much of a payload. Squirrels way up high were very difficult. Pattern density at that range was the culprit.
Started using Dad's mod 37 12g. Immediate improvement.
Just a suggestion, and others may disagree,...help them choose their shots. 410 will get it done, but should really be reserved for hunters with more experience. You don't want them getting discouraged because of a bunch of missed shots or lost/crippled squirrels.

I do a ton of squirrel hunting. I live in northern Arkansas. I have 2 Mossberg turkey hunting model 410. One is a 500 410 and other is a SA 410. Both in mossy oak tree stand. Mostly use a full choke. On crows sometimes will us a xfull. Before I started shooting a 410 much. I bought a Mec 600 Jr mark 5 410 3 inch reloader. Now I don't worry about ammo. During hot days in summer. I will go and reload a few boxes. I reload mostly 5 or 6 shot. Some 7.5 if I am going to place that has a few quail. Or wanting to shot a few crows. 410 3 inch hulls are hard to find. Planning ordering some nickel and copper plated shot. And load some ammo up. See if it will make any difference .

I do a ton of squirrel hunting. I live in northern Arkansas. I have 2 Mossberg turkey hunting model 410. One is a 500 410 and other is a SA 410. Both in mossy oak tree stand. Mostly use a full choke. On crows sometimes will us a xfull. Before I started shooting a 410 much. I bought a Mec 600 Jr mark 5 410 3 inch reloader. Now I don't worry about ammo. During hot days in summer. I will go and reload a few boxes. I reload mostly 5 or 6 shot. Some 7.5 if I am going to place that has a few quail. Or wanting to shot a few crows. 410 3 inch hulls are hard to find. Planning ordering some nickel and copper plated shot. And load some ammo up. See if it will make any difference .
That same Mossberg 500 410 is my #1 squirrel dogging gun. Carried that thing many miles following dogs. It's even earned the nickname " Blackie" .
IMG_3530.webp

Im a fan of the .410, growing up it was considered a kids gun then when a gent got old enuff the larger rounds was a bit much to deal with a man would go back the the trusty old .410, and then it was considered an old mans gun, now I fing myself hunting with my grand pas old .410 single shot, rusty and varnish worn off it still gets things done, just have to aim it like a rifle and pick your shot.

Mine is an old man's gun. That old single shot you have sounds like the best type of gun. I never had a .410 growing up. I bought one a few years ago to hunt the "shotgun only" WMA's. They are fun, but hard to find ammo. I prefer the 3" 7.5 shot for squirrel and 🐇

Latest posts

Back