• Help Support TNDeer:

A different FLW thread

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I am fishing with tophat on KY lake Saturday (didn't do worth a crap either) and we moved to another spot and I noticed several boats ledge fishing.
Then I noticed one boat was fishing and 3 were watching. Ahhhhh that is one of them FLW boys. I thought that was pretty neat.

We got to another spot and just about the time we were ready to move to where we were actually going to fish, after scanning the area, one of the FLW boats came into the bay and, of course, was headed right to where we were gonna fish. LOL
We just shut the engine off and watched him for a while.
I have never seen a professional fisherman in person, as far as actually fishing.
He had some kind of swimbait tied on, looked to be the size of a fluke or something but best I could tell it had a paddle tail.
ANYWAY, this sucker was "flippin" it underhanded towards the bank. It would literally hit within 6 inches of the dirt EVERY freaking time.
Then he started skipping it under stuff.
Limbs, cypress trees that the limbs were like 6" off the water for 30 feet and he would skip that bait all the way to the trunk of the freaking tree, EVERY time.

What amazed me the most was how effortlessly he made it look.
It would be like if I was bream fishing a big bed out in open water where it didn't really matter where you casted, that's what he made it look like.

I couldn't see well enough to see the name on his boat but I did see he was from Oklahoma.
I will say I like watching it on tv but never thought I would enjoy sitting around in a boat watching another guy fish, but I gotta admit, I really enjoyed that Saturday.
Till he moved anyway, then I went back to bream fishing. :D

I've watched several YouTube videos by various professionals teaching different techniques. It's insane how second nature it is to them.

If you did it for a living and had a fishing rod in your hands 365 days a year you got to get good at it.

I have a friend he started this about 20 years ago but he never did fish and he wanted to start fishing so he bought him a good bait caster rod and reel and he started pitching at a 5 gallon bucket and backed it up until he was hitting it every pitch and then went to a gallon bucket pitching at it and he makes it look easy. And he still gets out in the yard and practices all most every day.So i guess if someone had the time and wanted to get better they could try this.

GRIT":1s9qxolc said:
I have a friend he started this about 20 years ago but he never did fish and he wanted to start fishing so he bought him a good bait caster rod and reel and he started pitching at a 5 gallon bucket and backed it up until he was hitting it every pitch and then went to a gallon bucket pitching at it and he makes it look easy. And he still gets out in the yard and practices all most every day.So i guess if someone had the time and wanted to get better they could try this.

When I was a kid I was EAT UP with fishing. Still am. If I couldn't go fishing I would get out in the yard and practice casting (those old Ambassadeur 5000 reels were NOTHING like today's baitcasters). My smart aleck uncle pulled up in the driveway when I was practicing one afternoon and yelled out the window "I think you need to fish a little deeper!" I won't ever forget that. :tu:

When the kids were little, I had to stay home with them while my wife worked 2nd shift at the local Hospital ER . I would get the kids situated in their swings and give them a start. I would get my bait caster and a five gallon bucket and cast until I needed to get them swinging again. I did this for years. I can pretty much hit anything I want to with a bait caster. Flip, cast, skip, side arm, overhand, and even underhand. I still get out in the yard and practice throwing under trees and stuff when I get new lures or a new rod. Much like anything, the more you practice the better you get.

No doubt - it takes practice.

I was fishing one day last week and not really catching much, so I decided to just practice casts. I was trying to skip jigs under docks. If anyone saw me, they'd have thought I was a complete idiot! :D

I have fished tournaments for years. Flipping, pitching, and skipping is one of my favorite ways to catch 'em. Every year when I get going, its like I have to reteach myself how to do it. But after a little bit I can get back in the swing. I'll give you guys some tips for flipping; first off for learning, a heavier bait is a lot easier to control than a light bait. Try 1/2oz or larger to get started. Also, it would blow your mind if you knew how light the brakes are on these pros reels. In other words, you want to turn any braking or cast control down as light as you can stand it. I know several pros who have no brakes at all on when flipping. The brakes will slow the bait down at the wrong time which often leads to the bait rising throughout the "pitch" use your thumb as a brake, you will get the hang of it. If you watch a pro flipping the motion is 95% in the wrist. Your arms shouldn't be moving very much. Think of the bait/ line a pendulum, the key is to release at the correct time so the bait flies low to the water. One last tip, heavier/ stiffer line is much more manageable when you do have a backlash, so try some 25lb big game or something of the like to get you started.

Back