• Help Support TNDeer:

Afternoon hunting

You pretty much just do the same thing you do in the morning except that you may have to locate a bird because he may not be gobbleing on his own. You can either walk and call, or go to a spot that you know they will be roosting in and set up and wait for them to get there.

You can still have some good success in the afternoons but I have found that getting gobblers to respond is a little harder in the afternoon but if he is hot then he will gobble. But normally all I do is try to locate a bird, and if that don't work then I will wait around for a while and see if one will sound off on his own. And if all else fails then go to the roosting spot or a place where they visit frequently on the way to roost and set up and wait. Good luck man hope ya get one!

I like to get somewhere where birds frequent and where I can hear well. I will make one series of yelps on my way to the spot, then one when I sit down. Then silence for an hour or so, hopefully one will fire off on his own, but many times I end up slipping around and calling.

Best advice I can give, is don't hunt too late, sure you can kill them late, but you can also really screw up your chances for the rest of the season by hunting them late in the afternoons. I won't hunt past about 5 est.

Find a roosting area and sit between it and the nearest field and shut up. The birds are not going to fly up until about 6:45 or after so be on the look out from 5:30 on. If the birds fly up and roost before you can get a shot. Wait until well after dark before you get up and walk silently out of the woods. I like to carry tacks with me so I can find the exact location in the morning. Be very careful not to spook them of the roost because as Setterman said you will ruin that spot for awhile.Good Luck.......

Hoping this weather breaks a little before long. Fixin to head up the mountain when it does. Best time to hunt public land is after noon in my opinion.

Sure,

sit at the road and watch the birds go to roost. Then set up right under them the next morning.

Seriously, you'll have more fun anticipating the slam-dunk hunt you'll have the next morning than walking/calling. At least that's the way I'm trending...

spitndrum said:
Listen...

One word does sum up alot. Listening more calling and moving less is lethal on turkeys. I bet 3/4 of the birds I killed this year, told me where they were well after flydown, allowing me to pinpoint them and approach to the perfect set-up. It is amazing how many birds you will hear gobble on their own if you sit quiet, and how few you can hear roaming continuously, or sitting and calling blind.

Latest posts

Back