Age thoughts?

Livin2hunt

I actually don't know which buck this could be from last year but could be a new one that showed up. My thought was 3.5 but dang he's broad so maybe be a 4.5. Hope he turns out to be something.
1000006025.jpg

Think same deer? Belly looks alittle bigger in 2nd pic. If same deer i would say 4.5 by this one. We'll see I reckon.
1000006043.jpg

Last edited:

Livin2hunt

First picture looks 3 1/2, but in that second pic he looks 4 1/2. That's a heavyweight chest.
I'm not totally sure it's the same deer. It's totally 2 separate areas of the farm. He's doing some major traveling if so but looking at his current rack structure it looks like the same. Time will tell over the next few weeks I reckon.
I've really noticed the deer are looking super healthy right now. Better than I've seen in a long time!

Livin2hunt

Not sure about where you are, but there had been plenty of rainfall here up until now. Very green here, probably helps all wildlife.
Northern middle. Yep for sure. The deer on our farm normally are pretty skinny this time of year and get fattened up later in summer. I've been helping the cause with plots over the past year and a half and a lot of land management so maybe I can chalk some of it up to that for the fruits of all the labor.

BSK

Not sure about where you are, but there had been plenty of rainfall here up until now. Very green here, probably helps all wildlife.
We just greened up after a period where the plots were starting to look a little worse for wear. But the adult does I'm seeing look exceptionally healthy. Healthier than in past summer.

Livin2hunt

I see that now. Thanks guys! I've been trying to get a better age structure there and starting to see some more mature deer finally. First 2 years we did well to see a buck and now the last 2 starting to see some quality deer and a ton more activity on the place.

BSK

I see that now. Thanks guys! I've been trying to get a better age structure there and starting to see some more mature deer finally. First 2 years we did well to see a buck and now the last 2 starting to see some quality deer and a ton more activity on the place.
Always hard to tell private landowners (or those who lease property) to just "wait a while." Often, that's all it takes to get the age structure up. But those "waiting" years can be tough.