• Help Support TNDeer:

ammo EDC

What ammo do you like for EDC?
I normally carry gold dots, in either .40 or 9mm, but just about any quality hollow point will work. SD is usually at close range, so even FMJ will work, but hollow points will minimize over penetration and deliver all their kinetic energy very quickly which even if it is not a kill shot, it should destabilize the target for follow-on shots.

Federal Hydra shok or HST. I've used hydra shok since the 80's. The kids nowadays have decide that's old technology and wanted something new, so they have HST. Hydra Shok is getting pretty hard to find, HST is more readily available. They are both excellent.

Full wadcutters have gained much respect from me as of late. When loaded over a modest powder charge they have very little recoil and are extremely accurate. They hit hard too. A coyote facing dead on took one to the chest and bowled backwards like he'd been smacked with a piano. This was with a 38 special with a 4 inch barrel S&W model 12.

Here's what I've been loading:

32 S&W Long- 100 grain double ended wadcutter with 1.8-2.0 Grains of Red Dot.

38 Special- 148 grain hollow base wadcutter 3.5-4.2 grains of Winchester 452AA.

357 Magnum- 148 Grain plated double ended wadcutter 4.2-4.8 grains Winchester 452AA.

45 Auto Rim- Bear Creek 220 hollow base wadcutter 4.2- 4.8 grains Winchester 452AA, 6 grains Unique, or 5.5-6 Grains Red Dot.

41 Magnum- 190 grain hollow base wadcutter 4.2-5.7 grains Winchester 452AA or 6.5-7 grains Red Dot.

45 Colt- 220 Bear Creek hollow based wad cutter 4.2-5.7 grains Winchester 452AA, 7-7.g grains Unique, or 6-6.5 grains Red Dot.

45 Colt- 250 grain wadcutter 6 grains Unique, 6 grains Red Dot, or 14-16 grains IMR-4227.

The hollow based wadcutters can be loaded backwards to make a devastating hollow point!

Bear Creek, Matt's Bullets, or Berry's Bullets are what I've used. The Bear Creek are the most economical and have a nice coating that really keeps bores nice and clean.

Back