• Help Support TNDeer:

Anchor question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Do the "mushroom" anchors work any better than a homemade one?
I have something that I use as an anchor and it works pretty good but due to what it is, it is noisy and gets filthy and well I just would like something a little "neater".

Just wonder if those actually do work.
If not, I will just keep what I got.

The mushroom I had was worthless. Homemade would be as good if not better. Fluke style is the best I've used.

I have a 10lb mushroom for my 10ft jon boat. A homemade anchor would be just as good for my purposes. The 10lb mushroom isn't enough to hold my boat still when they're generating 1 at the Caney.

The best anchor you can buy is sold at Academy and has large hooks that will straigten out if you get hung.Buy an expensive rope to go with it and float the tag end and you will never need another anchor. I recommend a 120' rope that is big around as a quarter.

mushroom anchor is designed for soft muddy bottoms. If you only fish farm pond and still water it might be fine.
If you fish hard bottom, current, or bigger lakes where wind might be a factor, get a danforth style anchor.

For really rocky bottom, a grapnel style anchor works good. I made one out of rebar that works good but doesn't store well in the boat.

I have a 30lb mushroom for my 20ft bass boat, works great. I fish old hickory and it really seems to dig in the muddy bottoms, I used it the other day in 10mph wind and it held me in the same spot for and hour.

The guy at the bait shop told me the mushroom works best on muddy bottoms.

Latest posts

Back