• Help Support TNDeer:

Anchor rope

I cant remember the formula but anchor rope should be based on
1. Size/weight of boat.
2. Size/weight of anchor
3. Depth of water you will be anchoring in.
4. current/wind you are likely to encounter.

You typically need 1.5 - 2x the water depth of "rode" to get an anchor to hold. If its windy or there is current you may need even more. The deeper the water, the more rode you need. Adding an anchor chain helps hold bottom with a lighter anchor and less rode. Fatter rope has more drag in current so you will need to let more out to get the same "grab" on bottom.

fishboy1":1xbwjqzy said:
I cant remember the formula but anchor rope should be based on
1. Size/weight of boat.
2. Size/weight of anchor
3. Depth of water you will be anchoring in.
4. current/wind you are likely to encounter.

You typically need 1.5 - 2x the water depth of "rode" to get an anchor to hold. If its windy or there is current you may need even more. The deeper the water, the more rode you need. Adding an anchor chain helps hold bottom with a lighter anchor and less rode. Fatter rope has more drag in current so you will need to let more out to get the same "grab" on bottom.

I know the formulas but they often do not play out exactly right in real life.
How much do you carry when fishing the larger rivers?

I have 100 feet, and use 1/4-inch double braided nylon rope. There are rare occasions I wish I had more rope .... but very rare.

I use an 8 lb. "grab hook-style" anchor called a Mighty Mite. They also come in 12 lb. They're not good for dead calm areas, but if you have any current at all, they grab and hold. At 8 lbs., it's not a killer hauling up over and over on repetitive anchors. The prongs are aluminum so if it gets hung you just cleat off the rope and drive away. The aluminum prongs straighten, anchor comes free, and then you easily bend the prongs back into place. I love my Mighty Mite!
See: http://bit.ly/1pOhAsv

Latest posts

Back