• Help Support TNDeer:

Annual migration

Biggun4214

The annual migration to Douglas started yesterday. LOL! Fishermen from NC, VA, KY, and WV was full blown starting yesterday. Two other officers and myself checked 150-200 fishermen, 50-75 boats, and counted several thousand fish in a period of about 3 hours at Leadvale Access Area. We saw white bass, hybrids (Cherokee Bass), crappie, sauger, walleye, and bass.

Also there was a stand up paddle boarder that said he had traveled the entire length of the Nolichucky River, at least 115 miles. He had to port around at least 2 dams.

How many citations? I remember some days almost with writers cramp up that way many years ago.

Are the hybrids in there from natural spawning from the illegally introduced stripers and white bass, or have some been stocked?

We wrote 2 citations and a warning. The hybrids are natural. It's amazing at the numbers of small hybrids I have saw the last few years. If they continue growing 20 pounders may be common in a few years. There was a huge striper caught at on of the BASS tournaments about 3 years ago, can't remember if it was 53 or 63 lbs. I saw another that weighed 45.

Glad most everybody was behaving! That makes it easier and more fun for everyone.

It will be interesting to see what the stripers and hybrids with do with the dynamics of that lake. I think I would prefer them not to be there, but, it looks like they are there to stay.

scn":36wtep6h said:
Glad most everybody was behaving! That makes it easier and more fun for everyone.

It will be interesting to see what the stripers and hybrids with do with the dynamics of that lake. I think I would prefer them not to be there, but, it looks like they are there to stay.

The limit on Douglas is 15 in combination white bass, hybrids, and stripers. It started 2017, fisheries were surprised at the number of hybrids they were seeing while they were collecting brood fish. It helped get the regulation changed.

Biggun4214":1zisf9ef said:
We wrote 2 citations and a warning. The hybrids are natural. It's amazing at the numbers of small hybrids I have saw the last few years. If they continue growing 20 pounders may be common in a few years. There was a huge striper caught at on of the BASS tournaments about 3 years ago, can't remember if it was 53 or 63 lbs. I saw another that weighed 45.

If 20 lb hybrids become "common" that would be impressive.

Latest posts

Back