• Help Support TNDeer:

Any avid fly fisherman on here

CountryBoy053

I've got several questions for you.

I'm trying to get into fly fishing. I've done it in the past but just bought whatever flies I could find and hope for the best.

I want a better understanding on the whole thing.
What are the best dry flies and wet flies to use? Does it matter where I fish on what I need?

I'm wanting to fly fish the clinch. Hiwasse. And the Caney.

Other then that I'd like to do some small mountain streams around Gatlinburg area and tellico Citico.

What is the best setup on tippits. Leaders and all that?

I hope someone can point me in a good direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's more than several questions.

You might consider taking a guided trip -- you'll learn more in a day than you would struggling along on your own for years. I'm still trying to unlearn bad casting habits that I picked up trying to learn by myself way pre-Internet. I sent my wife to R&R Fly Fishing in Townsend (try teaching your wife ANYTHING yourself!) and she came away from the trip with a decent cast and good basic skill set.

choupique":3vp3s6rn said:
That's more than several questions.

You might consider taking a guided trip -- you'll learn more in a day than you would struggling along on your own for years. I'm still trying to unlearn bad casting habits that I picked up trying to learn by myself way pre-Internet. I sent my wife to R&R Fly Fishing in Reliance (try teaching your wife ANYTHING yourself!) and she came away from the trip with a decent cast and good basic skill set.

Good advice. I was fortunate to have a friend that could really fish and I went with him every chance I got.

Kind of missed my questions I guess.

I can already cast. And cast pretty dang well. My biggest thing is I need to know what flies to use and when.

Scn your pm was a big help

CountryBoy053":pzntqt6m said:
I can already cast. And cast pretty dang well. My biggest thing is I need to know what flies to use and when.

Did you originally get into tournament fly casting?

I can't otherwise think of how someone can be a whiz-kid caster and not know $#%& about leaders, or to look around and see if anything is hatching before tying on a fly, or to look four posts down at the "USE THESE FLIES" post before asking the same question.

Good luck.

choupique":24d9n713 said:
CountryBoy053":24d9n713 said:

Did you originally get into tournament fly casting?

I can't otherwise think of how someone can be a whiz-kid caster and not know $#%& about leaders, or to look around and see if anything is hatching before tying on a fly, or to look four posts down at the "USE THESE FLIES" post before asking the same question.

Good luck.

Not much of a reason to talk down to me about this. If you must know I picked up an old fly rod and stood in the yard and practiced on how to cast. Found out some friends were real good so they came down and would help hone in my casting ability. Got almost there when they moved and didn't have no one else to teach me. So kept going on my own. Once I thought I could cast well enough I went out and bought a large selection of whatever I could grab. No idea what any are. Never knew to change tippits out with size and all that I just went with it never had anyone to teach me all of this info.

Then I come on here asking for this info and get put down for asking the questions by people like you.

But started trying it out got lucky from time to time but that was it. It's been extremely hard for me to match the hatch, considering I am color blind and a lot of the insects look about the same.

So that being said thank you very much for all of your vast knowledge and insight on this subject

CountryBoy053":vzwjckdn said:

Scn your pm was a big help

Then since you can cast, my first tip would be not too get too much line out. First try to catch any fish that might be right in front of you. Presentation is every bit and usually more important than fly selection, no matter where you are. Start with a lot of false casting and hauls and you might spook trout right in front of you that might, in turn, run, and spook the trout out there in your drift. And speaking of your drift, keep it dead most of the time. Longer casts make it more difficult to keep drag out of your drift.

As for flies, you've heard it. Match the hatch. If you don't see anything, turn over rocks or if you really want to learn something, walk upstream backwards shuffling the bottom while holding a fine seine. If you catch a lot of a certain nymph, that's a good place to start. Fly selection isn't near as critical in the mountains as it is on tailwaters. I don't get to fish near as much anymore, but last month I fished the Caney Fork, and nothing had changed. Black flies are a big part of their diet in the warm months, at least for the upper river. So as soon as I tied on a zebra midge to my long 6x tippet on the end of a 9ft 4x leader, I started catching more and bigger trout. And yes, I use a strike indicator. Go to the mountains with some dries like hi-vis Adams or elk hair caddis on the end of a leader half as long and you'll probably catch fish.....IF you're stealthy and again, keep the drag out of your leader. Other than that, read anything you can, especially books or articles that focus on the places you want to fish.

I was off a little on the title of the Dave Hughes book that I recommended. If this link works it will take you to the right one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Hatches- ... 8544C78D48

IMO it is by far the best book out there concerning North American insect hatches and the flies to properly match them. With color blindness it will be a little more difficult for you, but just knowing the shape of the different insects will get you close. I can almost promise you that it will be the best $9.75 you will ever spend on fly gear.

With that book you will get a good feel for the times of the year to expect the various hatches, and what flies to have in your box (es) to match them. One of the great things about the book is that it was written by a fisherman for fishermen, so you are not overwhelmed with the scientific, latin name bs. I think you will find it a book to be read and then re-read over the years.

Give me a call at FS if I can help!

TboneD":2o4hp8d9 said:
CountryBoy053":2o4hp8d9 said:
Thank you again scn. Book is ordered!

If only I'd had that book when I first started out. Don't sore lip em all.

Haha I'm gonna try to! :cool:

get to know the people at your local shop if you have one near. Guided trip would really be a big help. Not for anything other than what you want out of it. Many guides will give you answers for an hourly rate. Can be the best way to shorten the learning curve. Some of the FFF or Trout Unlimited people will be glad to help you also. (local members)

Latest posts

Back