• Help Support TNDeer:

Anyone set crayfish traps near Nashville?

Tnbowhunter1

I was just throwing the idea around to a buddy, I want to give this a try this summer. I saw some good videos from TWRA podcast that said there's quite a lot of crayfish in TN.

Anyone have luck with this in the past?

when i still had family in lake county eons ago, we set traps in the backwater in the spring. we used to catch some nice ones to have a crawfish boil.

id probably be careful up around nashville depending on what you are going to do with them. TN has a lot of different species and some are endangered. if you are using them for fishing then i believe the regs say you have to catch them from the same body of water that you are fishing in.

much easier to have them shipped from LA if you are looking for some to eat.

I used to set them in creeks, etc when I just needed a few for fishing. If you're looking for numbers you can't beat dragging a minnow seine though.

I caught 60 one night by hand with a flashlight several years ago. It was in a spring fed creek during the spring time and I was just passing time between turkey hunts. They were all over the place, maybe the time of year or just a really good creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I always used a 10' seine. Just attach poles on both ends. Ideally it takes 2 people; one on each pole dragging the seine through the water. We drug creeks, ditches, and ponds. On many drags we'd sometimes get 100+ crawfish and various small bait fish. Doing it by yourself works also. On narrow ditches just take a pole in each hand and drag it behind you. You can also stick 1 pole in the bottom and swing the seine around in a circle heading back in to the pole you stuck in the bottom. Plan on getting wet unless you're wearing waders. It doesn't take long for crawfish to appear in holes or puddles created by standing water after a rain especially in areas that are subject to standing water after a rain. I've caught a lot of crawfish in holes that were bone dry one day and standing in water 2 days later after a rain.

Latest posts

Back