• Help Support TNDeer:

Back on the hogs

Robtattoo

A buddy of mine has had a minor, yet persistent pig issue for a few years now. The USDA trapped a bunch over the last 5 years & we've shot our fair share.
I've got the week off & decided to see if I can't put a further dent in the population.

I came out yesterday & set up 3 bait sites.
Nothing hit them in 24 hours, so today I'm running out some more to see what happens.

Fingers crossed I see some action.

20240718_161905.webp

20240718_170155.webp

20240718_162234.webp

I've wanted to hunt them for a long time but, don't have any in my area (not that I want any) yet. Tried hunting them around Dale Hollow years ago but, that's a lot of area to cover.

Do you set up any roll buckets?

They hold them at the sites longer and prevent them from vacuuming up all the corn in a single trip or two. I've got vids of them rolling them 'round and 'round for 45 minutes.

Been seeing a -LOT- of hogs in sw TN lately. Have hit 2 with my 85 C10, 1 with my wife's car. Loosahatchie bottoms, Hatchie bottoms, the various and sundry Beaver Creeks in Tipton, Shelby and Fayette counties… Have a couple fresh wallows in the holler and lots of tracks around our pond. Between the pigs, coyotes, bobcats and (caught on multiple local cameras) mountain lion… My tractor gun went from a sidearm to either an SKS stoked with jhp or a 12g with 00 buck. Keep finding doe skeletons in the orchards, last 1 "maybe" 300 yards from the kitchen door.

Been seeing a -LOT- of hogs in sw TN lately. Have hit 2 with my 85 C10, 1 with my wife's car. Loosahatchie bottoms, Hatchie bottoms, the various and sundry Beaver Creeks in Tipton, Shelby and Fayette counties… Have a couple fresh wallows in the holler and lots of tracks around our pond. Between the pigs, coyotes, bobcats and (caught on multiple local cameras) mountain lion… My tractor gun went from a sidearm to either an SKS stoked with jhp or a 12g with 00 buck. Keep finding doe skeletons in the orchards, last 1 "maybe" 300 yards from the kitchen door.
Show us a mountain lion picture.

Do you set up any roll buckets?

They hold them at the sites longer and prevent them from vacuuming up all the corn in a single trip or two. I've got vids of them rolling them 'round and 'round for 45 minutes.
I didn't this time.
We usually have a couple of drilled 30 gal pickle barrels chained to trees but they're not there anymore. Not sure what happened to those.

I checked again yesterday & I don't even think raccoons have touched my corn. It's a bit of a pisser, not being able to kill some fresh pork, but I'm happy as hell that they don't seem to be so much of a problem anymore.

Latest posts

Back