• Help Support TNDeer:

Barge?

TRIGGER

Anyone know if/where I can find any info on this? It's at the bottom of KY lake and I'm just curious. I always thought it was a regular barge but i rode over it a little different this time and it appears to taper at the front. I have never tried to get an accurate measurement but I'm guessing it's over 100' long.

lol, lots and lots of wrecks on KY lake. the only one i know thats close to 150ft long is the USS Undine but she was covered with silt the last i heard when they found her at trace creek. if thats the bow and forecastle outline, then it kind of looks like the old tinclad gunboats. we used to pull nheads off the old wooden barges just south of the bridge in about 45ft of water. we just assumed they were wooden barges by feel.

local legend among the old divers is that there was a gold cannon sunk but i think it was probably brass. any cannons were probably salvaged by the Union after the war and the rest was probably picked over when they dropped the river in the 40's.

you might contact the tn war commission or the historical commission and ask them if they have any record of anything that sunk in the area you found it. at one time they were logging anything that was found and left standing of the towns after the flooding.

cbhunter":4szfe8ih said:
I see nothing lol

I'm pretty dumb with electronics obviously.

Can you outline it for a dummy like myself? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outlined in black. It looks like it's not straight due to the way it's laying down the ledge and how the DI hits it.

Also this moved over the winter with all of the current in the lake. The upper end used to be in 23-25' and the other end was setting in 45'. It slid down the ledge, now the upper end is in 32-35'

Back