• Help Support TNDeer:

Bass landing question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Why do so many of the pros and tv show fishermen lay down on their backs and at an odd angle grab their line and pick the fish up rather than just grabbing them normally?
I guess I get the smallmouth as their mouths are smaller but not the largemouth?
Guess I'm missing something?

It's to minimize their profile so the fish doesn't spook near the boat and dig for the bottom or jump and throw the hook.

Lol. I think it's just a show for the camera; I doubt they act this way without cameras present. Most probably don't even realize they're doing it in the moment.

I wondered the same thing until I got my boat and ran into a problem landing fish. They are building boats with such high casting decks, that sit low in the water in the back but high in the front. I can't even reach the water from the casting deck of my boat from my knees. I would have to lay down to reach a fish from up there. When I have a good fish on I have to go to the starboard seat or port side seat to get close enough to the water to get the fish. When they have a camera guy or official, that's usually where they are, with the camera bags, equipment, etc so they have to do what they have to from the front deck. Most will boat flip them in, but depending on line size and how the fish is hooked, they do what they gotta do. I had to buy a long telescoping net just to crappie fish out of mine to reach the fish.

Lol. I think it's just a show for the camera
Speaking of which, the fly fishers are the best at picture posing! I never understood the whole "rod in the mouth thing". That's kinda old school now. Nowadays it's putting the rod behind your neck over your shoulders (guilty of that one myself). But hey, if it makes a good pic, then have at it! 😜

Sometimes it is because the fish has a mouthful of treble hooks. You are asking for major problems if you try to lip one of those.

Picking them up by the belly has a calming affect as well.
Maybe some day I'll get to show you how to grab a tarpon with a face full or treble hooks. I'd prefer if it had a single hook attached to your fly rod though:)

Latest posts

Back