• Help Support TNDeer:

Battery question

TRIGGER

I touched on this before but just now getting around to it. I added a 2nd battery to my cranking/electronics side. I ran each battery to a selector switch(1 on each post and tied my ground together on the batteries) then ran my positive wires from the boat and motor to the third post(Common). I have tested and with the switch turned to "all" it's still showing 12 volts. I can run on 1 battery half the day then switch to the second battery for the second half or put it on "all" and run off of both batteries and not have to worry about switching half day. My question is will this hurt anything? I know I will still have 12 volts but I don't know anything about amps and such or how electronics use them.
I only have a 3 bank charger so only 1 lead to these two batteries but no issues there because I can just charge them one at a time through the switch.

if you sized your conductor correctly to adhere to no less than 3% voltage drop then you should be fine on 1 or 2. in the all position, without an ACR, is where it might get tricky because of your motor's charging system. id call the manufacturer to be on the safe side. it could cause a problem if you had a bad cell in one battery since that battery would drain off the good battery and both would die.

a fully charged battery should read higher than 12v or you may already have a problem with voltage drop.

WTM":236xo5f7 said:
if you sized your conductor correctly to adhere to no less than 3% voltage drop then you should be fine on 1 or 2. in the all position, without an ACR, is where it might get tricky because of your motor's charging system. id call the manufacturer to be on the safe side. it could cause a problem if you had a bad cell in one battery since that battery would drain off the good battery and both would die.

a fully charged battery should read higher than 12v or you may already have a problem with voltage drop.

You just said a whole lot of jiberish to me. What do you mean by sizing the conductor? And what in the heck is an ACR? Lol

To clerify my voltage was 12.6 or .8. I was saying 12 volts just to clerify I wasn't getting 24. Thanks for the tip though.

Ok after a little research an ACR Is an automatic charging relay. I do not have one installed. I figured when the charger lets me know that one battery is charged I can switch it to the other. Mainly because I didn't know ACR's existed.

ACR's arent for the charger that you plug into the wall, its for the charging system inside your boat motor(altenator and charging control). it doesnt bleed charging current like an isolator does. its wired between the switch and the batteris. what it does is monitors the charging current and voltage that the motor's charging system puts into the batteries when you are running down the river or idling and automatically shuts off and switches off and vice versa. you select to run off BOTH batteries at the same time, in laymans terms, it can burn yo shat up.

id call the motor manufacturers to see if the charging system in the motor can charge 2 batteries at the same time safely if you ever intend to use both at the same time. using one at a time and then switching over will be fine.

here are the typical wiring diagrams for the blue sea system, which is a pretty good device.

Latest posts

Back