• Help Support TNDeer:

Be Vigilant on the Lake

Back in the early 90's I lived on Shoals Creek in NW Al.

It's a tributary to the Tennessee River flowing from Lawrenceburg Tn, South into Al with it's mouth empties into the river just above Wilson Dam,

The area of the creek I lived along was were the creek started to really narrow.

In one Summer,actually a two week period three people were killed.

One accident was a bass boat that ran through a pontoon with a Family aboard, killing two.

A couple weeks later two teenagers hit head on, riding jet ski's. Killed one.

Both accidents happened within a couple hundred yards of each other.

Another accident just downstream about 1 mile ,two Guys going on an afternoon fishing trip.

The men pull out of the Marina/Boat Dock and start upstream, it was reported the boat was traveling at a high rate of speed when it hit a submerged log ejecting both individuals.

The Driver lost his life and the Passenger was badly injured.

Some of the accidents were alcohol related , some were not.

The Creek does narrow along this area but it's still over 100 yards wide.

There's plenty of room for two boats to pass Safely.

Inexperience , lack of respect for others Safety and unknown Dangers all were contributing factors in the cases above.

It's funny to me when I look back at how things have changed in the last 50 years.

When I grew up fishing along the same Shoals Creek mentioned above, Fishermen were Courteous to each other.

If a boat was anchored or tied to a tree top fishing, you slowed your boat down and tried not to interfere with their fishing.

Now it seems as if no one cares , People will cut you off going to the ramp,just to get launched or loaded before you.

Some will cut in front of where you are fishing along the bank, other will ski between where your fishing and the bank !

I've gotten to where I limit my fishing to week days because of the amount of activity on the week ends.

You never know when the boat headed your way is being operated by Someone impaired or with a Serious medical condition that could cause an accident.

All we can do is :pray:

I hope Everyone has a Safe, and Enjoyable Summer. :tu:

Back