• Help Support TNDeer:

Best bullet and powder combo for cva wolf .50

Im looking to pick up a basic model cva wolf just to have a muzzleloader to use for deer. What is the best ammunition and powder combo to use? I like to actually hunt my deer, not just shoot them so I wont be shooting more than 100 yards, in most cases it wont be more than 75 yards.

stringtalker":3nc82zjo said:
90 grains of blackhorn 209 powder and a 185 or 200 grain barnes bullet or aftermarket barnes. With a short black harvester sabot.

Hi stringtalker
Where can you purchase the short black harvester sabot? I have a buddy needing to try something different for his new ML.
I've been out of the loop on regular ML the last 4 yrs. I shoot smokeless.

280longshot":1qffv33t said:
stringtalker":1qffv33t said:
90 grains of blackhorn 209 powder and a 185 or 200 grain barnes bullet or aftermarket barnes. With a short black harvester sabot.

Hi stringtalker
Where can you purchase the short black harvester sabot? I have a buddy needing to try something different for his new ML.
I've been out of the loop on regular ML the last 4 yrs. I shoot smokeless.
I ordered mine directly from harvester. If you are just lookn to try some out they will send you samples for free if you just ask. Look them up online

I bought a brand new scoped black and blued wolf last year. I shoot 90gr. Pyrodex and a 300gr Hornady SST. I dropped a doe where she stood at 156 yards last year. Its a "dirty" load but it did the job. If I was starting over fresh I might go with BH209 or a cleaner powder but for the price difference I don't know if I would.

Blackhorn is more expensive ( I Believe I found a small container at Wal-Mart for $25-$30) and you will also need to replace your breech plug with a 209 version. I believe the last I checked it was about $30.

I like 300Gr. projectiles. for some reason they are synonymous with muzzle loading to me. at short range you may not get the full benefit of a 200gr. projectile.

Also, if you are a reasonable shot with ANYTHING I'd say that gun will shoot most any projectile/powder combo at those ranges very effectively. Now if you want to relieve squirrels of their eyeballs at 200 yards you'll need to do some serious trial and error to determine the "best" bullet powder combo.

My "Ready" thread here explains that I just shot my CVA Wolf for the first time yesterday. I've used pyrodex and a 260 gr lead conical with a black sabot for years so I tried it in my new to me Wolf, and it shot under 1 in right off the bat with that load(77 gr by weight) but I'll likely try a little different gr wt loads to see if there's a node in there where accuracy improves. My daughter's shot at about an inch using 60 gr pyrodex as well, so I agree with the post above, that it'll likely shoot a variety of load combos well.

And my experience with BH 209 was good, other than using the mag primers. They were very corrosive in my BP. I've since chosen to remain with pyrodex and just clean after each use as usual. I'm also still using Remington Kleanbore primers as I've used from the beginning of inline shooting.

Modern 209 primers are not corrosive....Not sure where you are getting that from. Ive done a final sight in a month before a hunt without cleaning my non smokers and 209 primer fouling has never caused corrosion. I even hunt on a 209 primer fouled bore and never had the slightest issue.

These were some older CCI's I believe, that I had gotten from a coworker. They flat out burned and pitted my SS BP in the CVA Kodiak Mag that I tried it in. But, using BH209, I had let it alone, without cleaning for a few weeks after shooting a couple of sessions. I was using the O-ring in the primer pocket as well.

I'm a diehard believer in Blackhorn 209 and Barnes XPB .250gr This is after it went through his shoulder then his heart and was just underneath the skin on the off side.

Attachments

• BarnesXPB2.JPG
    BarnesXPB2.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 2,406
  • BarnesXPB4.JPG
    BarnesXPB4.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 2,411
  • BarnesXPB1.JPG
    BarnesXPB1.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,415

Latest posts

Back