• Help Support TNDeer:

Beyond Excited

muddyboots

I have bought several deer rifles. Some I liked. Some I didn't. None were exactly what I wanted. To be honest I can't find exactly what I want. The last one is a Seekins havoc 6.5 prc. Absolutely love the gun. Absolutely hate the caliber. Personal opinion. I called Seekins and asked if they would make me that gun in caliber of my choice? Answer was no! So I bit the bullet. TS Customs. I called him. Told him what I wanted and he said he would build it. Not Cheap. I wrestled with it and been paying monthly while he built. He emailed and asked me the color I wanted? Holy crap we near the end. I've got it paid for and he's finishing up. I hope it's all I thought it would be because no way you should pay that for a deer rifle when a 200 dollar pawn shop rifle will kill em! I'm so excited to have it. Shoot it. I pray I love it! Lord how mercy this deer hunting bug is tough!!! I can't wait!

Did you have the element or the ph2? What caliber did you pick, and what do you not like about the prc? I'm about to order a ph2 in 7 mag I think

I shot a few whitetail with monos and went back cup and core. Unless you're busting the cns you'll get longer tracks with monos. I'll shoot the 80ttsx some from my 243 but the 95 NBT and the 105hpbt kill quicker.

Eldm's would change your mind on the PRC.

But, congrats on the new rifle.

I shot a few whitetail with monos and went back cup and core. Unless you're busting the cns you'll get longer tracks with monos. I'll shoot the 80ttsx some from my 243 but the 95 NBT and the 105hpbt kill quicker.

Eldm's would change your mind on the PRC.

But, congrats on the new rifle.
I'll try some eldm. Just hated to keep shooting deer with it. I've shot a truckload with 7/08 140 Barnes and they just collapse.

I'll try some eldm. Just hated to keep shooting deer with it. I've shot a truckload with 7/08 140 Barnes and they just collapse.
Other than a velocity difference, why do you feel the prc doesn't do as well at the 7-08 with a mono. And for what it's worth, there's some threads out there of the hammers failing. There's also threads out there on the lack of terminal destruction with monos compared to cup and core bullets.

Last edited:
I've used the Barnes 130's in .308" from my 3006 and a few others, with monos they just track a little farther because they don't do as much trauma.

I bet the 140 eldm or 147 eldm will probably change your opinion.

Certainly nothing wrong with a 708, I have two and I heart both of them.

Since building a 6.5prc and having the same issue as you with the hammer bullet, I've been experimenting on other legal game this winter and spring. Loaded up the Berger 156 EOL and have killed 3 coyotes, 2 hogs and a few others. I'll be deer hunting with them this year.

Since building a 6.5prc and having the same issue as you with the hammer bullet, I've been experimenting on other legal game this winter and spring. Loaded up the Berger 156 EOL and have killed 3 coyotes, 2 hogs and a few others. I'll be deer hunting with them this year.
This right here. I have a built 6.5 PRC now for a couple years and shoot the Berger 156 EOL with Vihtavuori N565 and very impressed with it on deer and yotes.

Other than a velocity difference, why don't feel the prc doesn't do as well at the 7-08 with a mono. And for what it's worth, there's some threads out there of the hammers failing. There's also threads out there on the lack of terminal destruction with monos compared to cup and core bullets.
Small pool sample but 3 deer shot with 6.5 prc. Terrible tracking jobs. 2 found 1 not. The 2 found shot exactly where I put it. 7/08 I've shot a bunch with it. Can't remember ever tracking one of them. Like I said just personal experience. I prolly could keep trying things with the prc and find something that works but I'm getting old and I 100 per cent know what the 7/08 does. So that's why I picked 7/08.

I have a box those I have not tried yet.
You should give them a try muddyboots, we have crop damage tags and every year when the beans is planted behind the wheat crop we take out some of the doe's and I have seen them shot with about every caliber, between several farmers and different calibers and that 6.5 PRC with the 156 Berger EOL is awesome. And like you my daughter and granddaughter love the 7-08.

Back