• Help Support TNDeer:

Big MO Public Land Bird On Second Day

Brad C.

Our season started yesterday(Mon), and I didn't do any good. But things sure changed this morning. I was running late. I pulled in the public parking lot at 6:00AM. A little luck goes a long way. I didn't hunt but maybe 10 minutes at the most. I got to my spot by around 6:18AM. I went into the woods and this bird gobbled. I hit him with a few yelps from Mr. Mill's call, and boom. He gobbled about 5 seconds afterwards. I set down by the biggest tree to me. I hit him again. And again he gobbled and closing ground fast. I seen him come up the hill at about I would say close to 45-50yds. I knew he was mine then the way this 870 patterns with the Hevi-13 2oz #7 loads and the .675 MAD Super MAX. He was in strut and I was excited. I hit him with my mouth call when they are in close like that. He finally commited and hopped over a log. I rolled him at about 45yds. He looked like he was hit with a train.

I killed him at 6:30AM. Like I said this was quick.

24lbs.(weighed on digital scales at the MO Conservation Office
9.5" beard
1 and 1/4" and 1 and 1/8" spurs

DSCF0047_Medium_.jpg

DSCF0039_Medium_.jpg

DSCF0044_Medium_.jpg

DSCF0054_Medium_.jpg

Tell me those #7's won't do some damage. This bird flopped but he was hit harder than any bird I have ever hit.

DSCF0058_Medium_.jpg

DSCF0060_Medium_.jpg

Nice bird :cool:
Ive killed 5 with the hevi 7s so far this year and they all dropped with no flop(longest shot right under 40 yds). Pretty impressive little shell, but I just wish they would bump up the speed to at least 1200fps.

buckdead said:
Ive killed 5 with the hevi 7s so far this year and they all dropped with no flop(longest shot right under 40 yds). Pretty impressive little shell, but I just wish they would bump up the speed to at least 1200fps.

I think the reason for the 1090fps muzzle velocity is becasue they tend to pattern better at the slower speed.

The bird was killed in Cape Girardeau county, MO just so you know.

Brad C. said:
buckdead said:

I think the reason for the 1090fps muzzle velocity is becasue they tend to pattern better at the slower speed.

That makes sense about the better patterns, but the ones I shot through the chrono didnt shoot 1090fps.

I dont know if the folks at environ metal use the standard 30" tube when testing their shells, but the speed just wasnt there using my 23" barrel.

Im gonna be skeptical of their killing ability at long ranges until they bump up the velocity on their 7 loads.

buckdead said:
Brad C. said:
buckdead said:

That makes sense about the better patterns, but the ones I shot through the chrono didnt shoot 1090fps.

I dont know if the folks at environ metal use the standard 30" tube when testing their shells, but the speed just wasnt there using my 23" barrel.

Im gonna be skeptical of their killing ability at long ranges until they bump up the velocity on their 7 loads.

Please click on this link and see what kind of devastation those 7's will do to a 24lb bird at 45yds. Don't think for a minute they won't toast one even at 60yds. I hit this bird harder than any other bird I have shot at that distance with any other load I have tried. Those 7's are wicked!

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=528303

Like I said this bird was toasted. You can't hardly hit one any harder with a 3" shell unless if you reload your own loads or use TSS(Tungsten Super Shot) which is way harder than the Hevi-13 shot and patterns a lot tighter.

But when you have a gun, choke, and load that will shoot like this, your gonna smoke any bird that walks at 50yds and even farther each and every shot. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a gobbler at 50yds that wouldn't come closer with this combination.

40Yds Taped from tip of choke to target
Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7
870 Express
MAD Super MAX .675

Look at the turkey target that was taped in the center to the front side of this cardboard in the link above. I have this cardboard fipped over on the backside so you can better see the pattern in this picture. That is wicked to say the least.

DSCF0085_Large_.jpg

Latest posts

Back