• Help Support TNDeer:

Big Ugly

bowhunterfanatic

0DE268CD-D656-49BC-BF09-FD8F0FB90878.webp
This has probably been the worst summer I've ever had running cams. I've found 1 deer over 120 inches up to this point and I've only gotten like 2 pictures of him. Hopefully some new guys will show up in the next couple weeks although that would be abnormal on most of the ground I hunt. In the mean time I'm going to start trying to pin this one down. I've got his picture on at least 2 cameras in the area and would love to put an arrow in this old fella.

Last edited:
I just got a second cam out this morning. Really limited so far on the bucks I am even getting pics of. Have had one wide 8, but he looked young, all other bucks have been younger.

Corn is being harvested all around, once beans start coming out we should have some deer start showing up.

We get at least one mature funky racked buck every year. I have said it before and will say it again, that I think it's due to more older age class bucks that have damage due to fighting.

Huh cams are revealing on par antler growth in Davidson. I have one deer who made it from last year with a very recognizable rack and he appears to have put on some inches. He's the oldest deer I have on cam at 3.5 estimated

I'm seeing much reduced antler growth per age-class this year. Haven't seen a single buck on my place that raises my eyebrows.
Why do you think this may be the case?

And/or could the observed reduced antler growth assumption be as much or more due to small sample size as reality in the surrounding area?

Why do you think this may be the case?

And/or could the observed reduced antler growth assumption be as much or more due to small sample size as reality in the surrounding area?
No. This is true of all my clients as well, scattered across the state. Wish I had the answer for the reduced antler growth, but it defies logic.

. . . . true of all my clients as well, scattered across the state. Wish I had the answer for the reduced antler growth, but it defies logic.
Now you have me worried.
As the crow flies, most of my hunting area aren't that far from your place.
But I've so far seen no evidence of below average antler growth this year.

I have seen some young bucks (yearlings thru 3 1/2s) believed to be above average for their ages. Several 6 to 8-point yearlings with longer tines than normal. Many 2 1/2's & 3 1/2's with tine lengths appearing greater than normal.

Do you find shorter tine lengths a good indicator of below average antler growth across a larger data set?
This year, I'm seeing at least average, probably above average tine lengths. Mentioning tine lengths because it is an antler trait more readily observed while antlers are in velvet.

After the velvet sheds, going to be some previously more impressive racks suddenly appear unimpressively "skinny". And if overall mass is below average, it may soon become more apparent.

Do you find shorter tine lengths a good indicator of below average antler growth across a larger data set?
This year, I'm seeing at least average, probably above average tine lengths. Mentioning tine lengths because it is an antler trait more readily observed while antlers are in velvet.
No, tine length is far more genetic than anything else. Short-tined bucks tend to stay that way instead of fluctuating with food resource quality/quantity.

No, tine length is far more genetic than anything else. Short-tined bucks tend to stay that way instead of fluctuating with food resource quality/quantity.
I have this young buck that showed up. He's a very short tined 8 pt, but I was impressed such a young deer had 8 ots already.
1000014265.webp

He's quite a bit smaller that this 7pt.
1000014650.webp

I have this young buck that showed up. He's a very short tined 8 pt, but I was impressed such a young deer had 8 ots already.
Based soley on the single (top) pic of this buck, I really question his "youth". I believe he is at least 2 1/2, where the norm is typically more or less 8 points.

He appears to have basal mass more in line with a healthy 3 1/2-yr-old buck.

Also, can't really say he is "very" short tined because his antlers are still in a stage of rapid growth (in this pic). I do suspect he is more in line with being of average tine lengths. Brows are definitely in ballpark of normal or better.

Nice pics :)

Based soley on the single (top) pic of this buck, I really question his "youth". I believe he is at least 2 1/2, where the norm is typically more or less 8 points.

He appears to have basal mass more in line with a healthy 3 1/2-yr-old buck.

Also, can't really say he is "very" short tined because his antlers are still in a stage of rapid growth (in this pic). I do suspect he is more in line with being of average tine lengths. Brows are definitely in ballpark of normal or better.

Nice pics :)
Appreciate the info. I'm still hoping this one shows up on juvenile hunt.
1000014309.webp

Or this guy that survived last season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102_143017.webp
    Screenshot_20240102_143017.webp
    537 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back