• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat Motor to 15 ft Jon

CBU93

So i recently came into possession of a nice welded 15 ft Jon boat. My intent is toeasure fish smaller water ( see TWRA fishing lakes, smaller west tn rivers, hunt out of it abit, maybe run around a few oxbows). I am looking for an outboard...thinking something along the lines of a 15 to 25 hp tiller handle. Is tthe 15 enough motor for what I want to do? I'm a bigger is better person, but see no need to spend the money on the bigger motor formyapication if not needed.

What say you?

Since it is a welded boat and is a little heavier than a standard jon, I'm guessing that you would be happier with a 25 hp if it is rated for that.

The 15 would push you around, but may not plane off your boat with another person and fishing gear to satisfy you.

My brother runs a 1542 War Eagle with a 30. I ran a 1436 War Eagle with a 25. I'm thinking the 1436 was rated for a 20. Both all welded boats. I'd imagine the 15 would plane it out but it wouldn't be very fast. I used to run a 9.9 on a 15 foot boat and it would plane it out but it also was a riveted boat and around a 70 model.

I have a 20 HP 4-stroke Mercury on my 15-foot Jon. When I'm solo it zips along great.It runs about 25 or 26 mph. But it slows progressively with each added person. Two people still does good, three it starts to struggle. I puttered around some with four people in it yesterday and that was definitely no good.

Bottomline, if you're solo or even two people, I think 20 HP would be OK (and save you some dollars). But if you're going to load it up any more... or just want to get where you're going faster... 25 or more would help.

I told you the best option and you don't listen.

You buy my 25 for the exact cash that it would take me to get a 40 and then we are both set. :)

:smash: :smash:

CBU93":15swsqdk said:
RUGER":15swsqdk said:
I told you the best option and you don't listen.

You buy my 25 for the exact cash that it would take me to get a 40 and then we are both set. :)

:smash: :smash:

That is what I am saving for Ruger!!!

10-4 EXCELLENT plan!!
:super:

I live in Lauderdale county and have two older model 20 horse mercury's if you would be interested. One I have never cranked bought it for parts and the other starts and runs good just needs an impeller in the water pump which should cost about $25

I had 20 on a 1546 and it was just right for 1-2 not chubby people. It would try to porpoise a little with me at WOT, especially into a head wind.

I really don't think you'll want more than 2 in that boat very often anyways. It will be cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back