• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat motor??

Ranchy

I recently bought a boat that has been sitting up for 2 years. I've been told I should have the carbs cleaned before running it, does anyone know how much it cost and who I should take it to around tipton co.

Depends on how many carbs it has.... A rebuild kit for a Johnson 40 hp 2 cylinder was about $40 for the parts.....I rebuilt them myself...

Before I had it worked on, I would but some stabil, and seafoam fuel system cleaner in the gas. Then put a garden hose, and flush muffs on the lower unit, start the engine and let it run for a while. If you can get it running, the seafoam will clean out the carbs and fuel system without having to do a rebuild. I always put stabil in my fuel for winter storage.

dr is right. Seafoam is a miracle fluid. But if you have to take it to someone, there's only one person I would ever take a Mercury/Mariner to. Mike Tabor at Southern Marine in Olive Branch.

One thing you don't want is taking it to the water and have problems. I would run it with fresh gas/seafoam and see how it runs. Like some have stated, a rebuild kit is simple and cheap.

Snowwolfe":34nniwn3 said:
I wouldn't do anything to the motor other than adding fresh gas to the tank and taking it for a ride. Only way to know for sure if the carbs actually need any work.

And maybe burn a piston up....

Latest posts

Back