• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat suggestions

Pilchard

Question for those that fish the caney specifically for rockfish.... if you could buy any boat for this application that would somewhat double as a winter time hunting/crappie fishing boat on old hickory/JPP lakes, what would it be?

Aluminum? Do you want a 24v or 36v trolling motor? Jet drive vs prop? Brands? Length?

Thanks!

I've been on it in a jet and a 16' jet rig is probably ideal on the Caney but not for lakes. I've seen a 20' tunnel hull with a 150 on the river but they said they couldn't make the turns a couple times and had to plow into a strainer.

Yes. I looked at a 17 Xpress over the weekend and with a few modifications I think it will fit the bill. Think I'll add a hydraulic jackplate and get rid of the foot control electric and replace with a remote control iPilot that I'm used to from my time in the salt.

Does anybody have any experience with this brand? Positive or otherwise? It does have a SHO on it which is not my first choice. May swap it out for a four stroke instead.

Pilchard":26l0rzqc said:
It does have a SHO on it which is not my first choice. May swap it out for a four stroke instead.

The SHO is a 4-stroke...

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Flat bottom for caney, V Hull for lakes... caney gets real shallow in places when not generating. If you know the river and the release schedules you'll be fine with a regular outboard. I've had my V Hull in there several times. My boat is only 13' but I'd recommend bigger if you want some leg room or fish with a couple buddies. Get a light weigh aluminum that's not all decked out and it will plane quicker and draft less water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back