• Help Support TNDeer:

Boat trailer grease monkeys unite

7mm08

Ok. What does everyone do regarding greaseing hubs on their boat trailers? What kind do you like? How often do you take care of this? Do you just shoot some New in there or take the hub off and repack? Anybody use Bearing Buddies?

I love checked the hubs on a boat I share with 4 other guys. One of the hubs had tan colored grease in it so I assume water has entered in via the now 10 year old rubber hub " guards "/ "covers"? Do I take them off and repack them or just shoot it full of grease until the new grease starts coming out. I assume I can replace the old guards?

Thanks!

one important tip is to make sure the wheel and tire are off the ground, and you are spinning the wheel and tire when you grease the hub.

I've had Bearing Buddies on the same trailer for 24 years and never have had any issue. I pulled the boat 8 hours south to Gulf Shores just last year. So I would definitely recommend Bearing Buddies.

I usually just used whatever marine trailer grease is available. I maybe hit the buddy bearings at the beginning of each season and keep an eye on it thru out the season. If I am hauling the boat down the interstate, I will check to see if the bearings are hot when I get gas or when I arrive at the ramp.

I have used Lubrimatic Marine Grease for almost 30 years and haven't yet had a bearing damaged, even when water got into the hub - my 30 year old trailer still has the original bearings in it. It's a dark green grease with a sticky feel to it. Last time I bought any I got it at an Ace Hardware. I used to remove the wheel and repack every year, now I've gotten lazy and do it every other year.

I've always removed the wheel to be able to clean the old grease out, inspect the bearings and races, work the new grease into the bearing rollers, inspect the seals, and find out if there's any water in the hub. I've never used bearing buddy, so can't comment on them.

Bearing buddy for me.
Never had an issue.

The only drawback is if you get a little aggressive putting grease in it will seep out the back and sling all over your wheels.

RUGER":17ah0qfq said:
Bearing buddy for me.
Never had an issue.

The only drawback is if you get a little aggressive putting grease in it will seep out the back and sling all over your wheels.

Ruger, that is the reason for raising the wheel and tire when you grease. When that happens you have blown the seal out the back and will most likely have issues, especially on a long trip.

Headhunter":1l6xr4h0 said:
RUGER":1l6xr4h0 said:
Bearing buddy for me.
Never had an issue.

Ruger, that is the reason for raising the wheel and tire when you grease. When that happens you have blown the seal out the back and will most likely have issues, especially on a long trip.

I wouldn't have thought the spring on the bearing buddy would be strong enough to blow the seal out?
I just put it in till the spring was almost fully compressed then quit.
What does spinning it while filling do?

Not sure I can explain it. I know I blew many seals on the inside of the hub and since I have done that I have not had any seals fail. Of course either way, be sure not to overfill grease.

RUGER":15361fr7 said:
Headhunter":15361fr7 said:
RUGER":15361fr7 said:
Bearing buddy for me.
Never had an issue.

I wouldn't have thought the spring on the bearing buddy would be strong enough to blow the seal out?
I just put it in till the spring was almost fully compressed then quit.
What does spinning it while filling do?

It's not the spring. If you pump too much grease into a bearing buddy, the hydraulic pressure can force the seal out the back. Ask me how I know.

Thanks for all the tips. Used Lucas Marine grease. Replaced the rubber caps on all four hubs( two boats). Replaced the hubs on the 10 year old boat. The bay boat trailer has disc brakes ( actuator ?). Pain to get off secondary to salt but repacked those bearing since they are less than 2 years old.

Bearing buddies for me and I haven't had any issue. I towed my boat to MD and NC in the last year, 8 hours each way. I just make sure to take my grease gun with me in a plastic bag and regrease before coming back. I also used Lucas high temp grease. I usually check and regrease them every 5-600 miles. Or about once before duck season starts and once mid way through the season

Latest posts

Back