• Help Support TNDeer:

Bore Sighting question

Bone Collector

I asked this in the general forum, but seems half are on there, half on here.

I am new to bore sighting and have never done it before. I recently bought one and it seemed simple enough, so i set it up and the .270 was as easy as pie assuming by following the instructions i did it right.

However I recently bought a new ML (CVA Acura) and topped it with a Redfield Revolution 3x9. i simply took the scope out of the box and mounted the same way that i have anytime before. Never had an issue. tonight i hooked up the bore sighter and it was pointing low and left. I adjusted the scope and move it over to center with no issue, but when i went to move the scope to bring the dot up, the scope bottomed out, or in other words ran out of room to make clicks up. the red dot or bore was still 2-3" below the cross hair.

what can i do to correct this?

Disclaimer - I don't know.

I would try a shot at a big target from about 10 yards. That would give some idea if there is a correlation between the bore sight, the scope, the gun, and reality.

Is your scope mounted with the "see under" rings which allow you to use your iron sights as well? I had an issue one time using this type of mount, since it elevated the scope so much off of the barrel I couldn't use a boresight for it.

Check your ring alignment, as you may have some variation in the rings, bases, or the top of the gun. Then shoot it and see where you are at. There is a possibility that you will have to lap or shim the rings to get the scope to where it needs to be.

2 simple, common things I can tell you after working for 8 years in a gun shop and mounting and boresighting more scopes than most ever will in their lifetime.

No.1: My initial inclination is that there is something wrong with your scope base and/or rings. Which leads me to ask what type of mount and rings are you using?

No.2: Remember a boresighter is only supposed to get you on paper. It was never meant to sight in a rifle or make a rifle ready for the hunt unlike what most K-Mart hunters seem to think. I would probably shoot it at about 20 yards (max) at a 5' x 5' target (or no less than 4' in your case) and just see what the bullet is doing and where it hits. This may not be the tragedy you think it is. However, if you don't even hit the target I would lean towards the fact that something is wrong with your bases and rings.

Let me know how it goes...reply back or PM me if you have any questions.

Check your ring alignment as well and make sure that you didn't tighten the back scope mounts/rings all the way down before touching the front set of rings. I always start mine and then try and tighten down evenly until there all tight. I'm not sure if that's the correct or rite way but that's what I do.

Check your ring alignment as well and make sure that you didn't tighten the back scope mounts/rings all the way down before touching the front set of rings. I always start mine and then try and tighten down evenly until there all tight. I'm not sure if that's the correct or rite way but that's what I do.

First of all shoot the gun to make sure you even need to adjust the scope that much, as bore sighting can be off a mile on some guns! If you do in fact need more adjustment, you may have to either change mounts or bases, or even shim the mounts or bases possibly.

I have the same problem. Im mounting a ziess scope in a set of medium hieght one peice DNZ Dead Nuts ring and base onto a Marlin XS7 in 308.

My left to right is fine but the up and down is topped out with me being right where I need to be on the bore sight target. But if I get to the range and need more vertical up adjustmentt Im screwed.

James

if its a bolt action, just remove bolt, put gun in some type vise, towels and books can be made to work, look through bolt and line up with a street light or some other light, move crosshairs to light

there is usually to much slack in a boresighter, to prove this take a rifle that you know is sighted in, insert boresight and check, doing this multiple times will probably give multiple results

Wow finally some answers and I didn't add the part i added in the general forum, which would have helped.

I purchased the gun (CVA Acura ML) with integral scope mounts built in. ordered it direct from CVA through Dicks and had it delivered to the store. the mount is making the scope lower than I've ever seen a scope. that being said. can I switch the mounts? If so i have some.

shoot it at 25 yards and get it on paper. Shoot it at 50 yards and make adjustments. Shoot it at 100 yards to fine tune. I never trust a bore sighter. Shooting it will leave no doubt or speculation as to maybe what it might be doing. Shot it and you will know.

well as it stands now i have the up bottomed out. should i adjust the up down to the middle? I think i read on here you should and someone said about how many clicks up/down were possible on a scope typically, which gave you a reference to divide by 2 and set it to middle of the spectrum

I hope you have not done what I did years ago,I mounted the scope sideways..Had the same symptoms you have dascribed.
Oh I felt so stupid after shooting 2 boxes through it.

If a man had a caldwell he could shoot his gun and line his scope to the bullet hole.

If my time was limited, I would take plenty of powder, ammo, primers, and cleaning utensils to the range and shoot it at 20 yds max and see what it is doing and go from there. Maybe bring some sort of sissy pad for your shoulder too! Like several have said, and it's true, don't put all your eggs in the bore sighter basket and the scope being low to the barrel is the best thing as long as it isn't touching. I don't know what kind of rings/mounts you have but being they came with the gun as a combo deal they probably aren't of the best quality. Regardless, bottom line - go shoot it and then you will have a base line. Then, next year (unless you're driving nails with it) - throw those mounts/rings away and get you a good quality steel base and rings (leupold, burris, etc).

it said up on the top adjustment. i have to check it out and make sure it is not touching but i would assume that being the scope mounts were on it from the factory i doubt it. i may just it to even on the up down adjustment and choot it! :D

I have deduced you are using a bore sighter that has a tapered fit into your bore,, that correct? Think about that: When you look through the scope, the picture you see is quite a bit closer than with, say, a 308 caliber. So, you are looking to far down, causing the problem. You won't hit paper at 50 yards. Best try one of the other solutions mentioned above.

I would think the boresighter instructions would advise you not to use it on .50 caliber weapons. My boresighter uses pins that slip into the bore rather than the tapered fit method. With this pin method the picture you see is always in the exact same place, flush up against the crown no matter the caliber.

Latest posts

Back