• Help Support TNDeer:

Bottom identity?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Is there any way to determine the make up of the bottom on a side imaging depth finder?

For example, like an old road bed or more so, a shell bed?

Would you look with down imaging, side or sonar?

Depending upon how you have your Sensitivity/Enhancement settings, a hard bottom (rock/mussel bed) should appear white.

shellbeds.jpg

If you have a few minutes go on YouTube and type in Miles Burghoff. He has some excellent electronics videos on line. Explains how to set just about anything on the newer equipment. You will learn a lot

It took me a while to learn this on my graphs and Richard posted a dandy example and answered your question!!

Next time your on Ky lake a Paris drive down along the rocks fairly close (or any other bank with visible rocks) and then come back across your same path just further out. You will see just what Richard posted, rock is denser therefore giving a harder return on your sonar hence the bright white.
I am still learning myself but it is slowly coming together!

I wish I had some extra cash somewhere to buy a decent graph. I've got a decent boat in perfect working order and a Fishmark 320 on it. I don't know if it's a pitiful unit or I'm too stupid to use it properly, but sometime I think I'd be better off sticking my head under water and screaming then waiting for the echo to come back.

Latest posts

Back