• Help Support TNDeer:

Bought a boat, need some advice on killing the oil injection

Kimber45

So...bought a pretty nice old Lowe 16.5' with a 40HP Merc Classic oil injected. The guy uses it twice a year for 10 yrs and on top of being FILTHY from being in a barn, the motor had oil running down both sides. He had the gas unhooked however time and a sealed oil tank had seemingly caused the oil to flood the carbs. After draining the bowls etc she purrs like a kitten however, it's already running oil down the sides again in my shop. Never did like or trust oil injection anyway but, but not sure I know enough on this deal to truly disable the pump etc.

Anyone skilled in this arena who can offer advice? It's a 90's model, haven't looked it up to see exactly what year but should be 93-95 or so I think.

Re: Bought a boat, need some advice on killing the oil injec

I'm SUCH a cheapskate...but I'm wondering if I can rig the output hose to feed back to the tank....let it cycle with oil in the pump forever, just never have it feeding the motor again.

Hook up the output of the pump to the inlet of the pump. Make sure it's full of oil before you close the loop.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

ImThere":11smrhn6 said:
Hook up the output of the pump to the inlet of the pump. Make sure it's full of oil before you close the loop.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

That's sorta what I'm thinking .. I do want to disable the electronics though. A buddy of mine is giving me a repai manual for this motor so maybe that'll help

Circulating oil from discharge to suction without a reservoir to act as a heat sink will probably cause the pump to overheat. Best case, the pump just dies after a while. Worst case, it catches on fire...

I'm speaking in generalities, because I've never done what you're talking about, but the principle of pumps not being made for 100% internal circulation is pretty universal so I think it applies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know the exact process but I had mine removed late winter. Cost me $100 to get it done by a local boat mechanic. I mix my own gas/oil now and runs better than ever.

I was always worried about the oil injection failing (which happened on another motor a few years ago.) I feel confident now that I mix my own oil with gas. I realize a 2 stroke boat motor is just a time bomb waiting to explode, but it won't because the oil injection failed.

Kirk":8t6b5t4b said:
I don't know the exact process but I had mine removed late winter. Cost me $100 to get it done by a local boat mechanic. I mix my own gas/oil now and runs better than ever.

I was always worried about the oil injection failing (which happened on another motor a few years ago.) I feel confident now that I mix my own oil with gas. I realize a 2 stroke boat motor is just a time bomb waiting to explode, but it won't because the oil injection failed.

x2

Kirk":2sz1wb7d said:
I realize a 2 stroke boat motor is just a time bomb waiting to explode, but it won't because the oil injection failed.

Why do you think this? I have a 20 year old 2 stroke 25hp Johnson that purrs like a kitten. Is there something inherently wrong with 2 stroke motors that I am not aware of?

Generally the smaller horse power motors are not as prone to blow. I had a 50 HP Johnson that I ran from 1989 to 2009 with no issues. It seems the larger horse power motors are lot more likely to blow a cylinder. I have had a 175 and 150 blow and had to have them rebuilt. All of my friends with 2 stroke, oil injected motors have had their motor blow at least once. Especially since the ethanol gas has become more prevalent. Lots of information about it on google.

I have a 05 90 hp merc. A boat mechanic told me once the warranty was out, the best thing I could do was disconnect the oil injection and mix my fuel. Have not done it, now I wonder if I should? We have a station here that still sells 100% gas.

Latest posts

Back