• Help Support TNDeer:

Braid vs mono

breaker19sK

Spooled up two curados with 30 lb power pro. It's my first experience with braid and it seems I've lost quiet a bit of casting distance opposed to decent mono. I've dang near backed my brakes all the way off and it's still frustrating. Granted, most applications where the braid is being used don't require much casting but I'm just wondering if this is common????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I use suffix 832 80 pound braid and can throw twice as far with it opposed to mono

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You shouldn't lose with braid... you should always gain. I only use it for flipping or froggin. For flipping it's backed with mono so I'm only using around 30 or 40 yards of braid. The froggin rods only have a couple wraps of mono on the spool and the rest are braid.

If you're losing distance... did you use a mono backing behind the braid? If not it could be spinning on the spool. Braid will not tighten down enough not to spin on slick spools. If you did, grab an old reel and just reel it off on it, put some mono on for a backer and then reel it back on the other reel.

I've been using 65 pound Spiderwire Stealth for years on my frog rod. I don't use backing. It will cast a mile. Never had a casting issue. Keep in mind that lower test braid has such a small diameter that the line will dig into the wraps on the spool. That's why I use 65.

I backed both of them with a bit of mono, but I think spurhunter is on to something. After I read that I realize I have been putting a lot of pressure on the line when reeling it back in after I backlash the crap out of it...the line is definitely digging into the spool and obviously causing more resistance. I appreciate the help fellas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back