• Help Support TNDeer:

Breaking fly rods and hearts!

7mm08

Well " technically " I finally caught my first Tarpon on a flyrod this week off Mexico Beach FL. I got this 60 pounder to the leader at the boat which resulted in snapping a Sage Xi3 11wt in two places. I lost a 100 pounder 15 ft from the boat after a 45 min fight with several long runs. It just threw the fly.

Tough fishing with the wind and clouds that made spotting migrating tarpon hard. I STILL say this is like standing in the middle of a corn field with a BB gun waiting for a dove to come close enough to try and shoot!! I will go back next year as I want to touch one and collect a scale which can be as big as a CD on a 150-200 pounder! Amazes me these fish swim from South and Central America to North America to spawn, turn around and swim back. BTW , check out Capt.jason.stacy on Instagram and watch what SCN saw on his boat!! AMAZING!

Very cool. Hopefully you get your hands on it next time. I'm heading down there tomorrow morning for a week of fishing in St. Joe's bay. Staying in my usual place in Cape San Blas

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Personally, I have no use for them. Being where I am from, they where a constant nuisance while Snook Fishing. Have nothing against those who fish for them though, especially with light inshore gear. Keeping a hook in one to the boat, without "jumping" them off, is one hell of a challenge. Could put you on pockets of "resident" fish back home that would allow you plenty of chances to get a few to the hand. Hooking a few 100+ pounders is nice, but catching 15 to 20 in the 10 to 50lb range makes for one hell of an experience ;) Catch 'um up fellers.

cowhunter71":1ja174ze said:
Personally, I have no use for them. Being where I am from, they where a constant nuisance while Snook Fishing. Have nothing against those who fish for them though, especially with light inshore gear. Keeping a hook in one to the boat, without "jumping" them off, is one hell of a challenge. Could put you on pockets of "resident" fish back home that would allow you plenty of chances to get a few to the hand. Hooking a few 100+ pounders is nice, but catching 15 to 20 in the 10 to 50lb range makes for one hell of an experience ;) Catch 'um up fellers.

I'm free next week!! Ha!
Snook is next on my list with a flyrod.

Congrats on the fish!

I've only hooked into one , that I know of.

It was on a rod and reel in Ft. Pierce inlet one night.

I could see it jump a couple times in the moon lite , as it left the inlet...
I never even slowed it down, it was just gone.

Snook would be a blast on a fly! Good Luck

So awesome and really cool that you had a good trip. There's nothing like those things from the cast in front of a school, the take, and the hook up. They're crazy and don't play by the rules but when they do dang it's awesome.

7mm08":11ghd5yy said:
cowhunter71":11ghd5yy said:

I'm free next week!! Ha!
If you're wanting snook hit me up, some of the places outside the US like Puerto Rico are loaded and affordable as well. Monster snook as well as tarpon and loads of bonefish

Setterman":3bn2xw4s said:
7mm08":3bn2xw4s said:
cowhunter71":3bn2xw4s said:

I'm free next week!! Ha!
If you're wanting snook hit me up, some of the places outside the US like Puerto Rico are loaded and affordable as well. Monster snook as well as tarpon and loads of bonefish

I would go outside but it's the crappy medical services I might require and their way of fixing it that scares me. There was a prominent cardiologist just murdered in Belize while flyfishing with a guide in the past two weeks.

Setterman":1tb0lrqt said:

When is a good time to visit PR? On average, what should a person expect to pay for a guide for 2 people?

Thanks

Congrats on the battle, that's what it's all about! I used to scuba dive in FL. Keys, and have seen some HUUGE Tarpon that had scales near big as dinner plates.

Back