• Help Support TNDeer:

Bream

sallee-bo

Shellcracker, Blue Gill and Bream. Are these all the same species or different sub-species of Bream? I've allways just called them Bream.

Bream is just a slang term, they are all members of the sunfish family, and shellcrackers are actually red-eared sunfish

Some of these are bream, some are shellcracker. Can you see the difference? :)
18ed27ea6c7531b927ebf8e985160d8f.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

RUGER":kbv9hnd2 said:

The only difference I can see is that the top bowl looks like they might have gone bad. Send em to me and I'll get rid of em for ya. :D :D

sallee-bo":150yyhwd said:
RUGER":150yyhwd said:

The only difference I can see is that the top bowl looks like they might have gone bad. Send em to me and I'll get rid of em for ya. :D :D

hee hee :)

I am actually gonna clean 28 more today.
If you are in the area swing by and I will hook ya up with some fresh ones. ;)

Bream refers to members of the sunfish family. Bluegill, redear (shellcracker), green sunfish, longear, warmouth, etc. there are also copper nose bluegill (a specific type of bluegill) and hybrid bluegill (BG crossed with green sunfish). Black bass (LM, SM, spotted, coosa, etc) and rock bass are also of the sunfish family. But they aren't called bream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bream are a different species,class whatever of fish in England and Europe. my guess is that when the South was settled by these Europeans they caught some of these sunfish species and they kinda looked like their native homeland's black bream so they just called them all bream. my grandfather called the bigger ones bream, the redbreast ones he called shellcracker and the smaller ones he called perch. kinda funny he called a sauger a jack salmon but its really a type of perch. i think people in Texas and the Southwest call bream(bluegill) perch too.

anyhoo they all taste bad and yall need to throw them back and tell me where you caught them so i dont fish there!

Latest posts

Back