• Help Support TNDeer:

Bringing the Climbing Stand Back in the Mix

Yes.

Most of my hang on stands are set as rut stands. Not that I don't kill a few with bows from them, but during October I'm much better off grabbing the climber and staying mobile with the feeding sign.

I just get lazy as I detest carrying any type of stand to hunt, but I know it's what I have to do most times.

Yes.

Most of my hang on stands are set as rut stands. Not that I don't kill a few with bows from them, but during October I'm much better off grabbing the climber and staying mobile with the feeding sign.

I just get lazy as I detest carrying any type of stand to hunt, but I know it's what I have to do most times.

Yep I've gotten busted by some old nanners from my preset hang ons, so now they are expecting me to be there every time. I'll move them or take them down after season but for now I need to move but I want to get 25-30 ft. I will take the shot angle into account.

Me🖐️. I have not seen the need to join the saddle craze, and I don't care about hang on stands. In the midwest, where there are lot of small, scrubby trees - I can absolutely see the need for those two options. But, in East Tennessee - I find plenty of straight enough trees to use my climber. Reasons I choose a climber:

1. I can climb so fast and quiet. I can be up a tree long before someone can put sticks up a tree
2. Comfortable - I have no problem sitting all day if I choose to
3. I can change locations very easily
4. I have two stands - one weighs in about 11lbs, I use it for longer hikes in or if I get lazy. The other is my summit Goliath - it weighs probably around 22 lbs bare. I use it for shorter hikes. It's a little more comfortable than the other, but not by much. I love them both.
5. Simple - I'm just the type of person, the simpler, the better. Two cables around a tree and locked in and I'm ready to go. I honestly don't want a bunch of ropes, carbiners, straps, etc. to deal with in the woods.

That's just me - and confession, I've never tried a saddle. I have watched many videos of people using them and nothing about them has convinced me to switch. But...again, to each his own.

Last edited:
I still carry mine in most mornings. Ive looked into saddle stuff but IMO its stupid over priced for the trade off. I just like the comfort of a climber, sure it can be a pain to carry 20lbs on your back in and out but I can get it attached and up a tree in 5mins.

I hunt out of a summit viper 90% of the time and almost always carry it in and out. The other is either in a ladder, on the ground, or in a shooting house.

I have thought about trying a saddle but so used to the climber and efficient on getting up and down a tree. I can normally find a tree to climb but a saddle could add to that. I can get higher in a climber which is important during gun season so I can see farther due to the terrain.

Last edited:
just blows my mind how much $ saddle kits are still for what you are actually getting. Minimal material, some ropes, carabiner and an aluminum platform thats tiny for $600 hahah. Thats not even adding in sticks and other stuff you may want. I get it liability or something may drive up the price but good lord ill just keep on using a climber until thats not silly

I have a couple climbers, a couple ladder stands, and permanent box blinds. I also bought a hang on set with sticks last year.

I tend to start the season with a more mobile approach using my climber to get in different places. By the time I have hunted hard for several weeks I get lazier and tend to use some of my permanent stands.

Back