• Help Support TNDeer:

Brook Trout

bigluresonly

Huge congrats to Sasa Krezic of Nashville for catching the new State record Brook Trout :tu: The 4.75lb Brook Trout was caught April 1st below Center Hill Dam. Krezic caught the fish on his first cast using a live minnow. The previous record Brook Trout had been in place for 42 years (3 lbs 14 oz, Hiwassee, Aug '73).
Beautiful fish!

I'm always happy to see new records broken... but I've got mixed feelings about this one. The brook trout in the Caney Fork are stockers from a strain of Northern brook trout. They are totally different from our true East Tennessee mountain brook trout. They get much bigger (obviously), but they're not true Tennessee trout (IMHO).

My son caught the state record goldfish from Douglas in March. It weighted 3lbs 5.75oz. The brook trout is a prettier fish.

And that new state record largemouth shouldn't count either cause it's not of TN blood? Good grief. Knock a few teeth out, put some tats on it and it will fit right in with it's Smoky Mountain CHAR cousins!

The best thing about this is that it proves our tailwaters are CLEAN and can support/maintain a trout fisheries and that given this WE/TWRA should so everything in their power to help protect, grow, and promote this resource.!!

Congrats to the young man. Fine job!

Pretty sure I have releasrd a brook or two that would of beat the previous record. There are some big brook in the caney I wouldn't be surprised if the new record is beat within the next year

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wait, RSImms, Those Chattanooga Largemouth are all Florida strain. Should they be considered State Records? or What about the big Muskie stocked on Melton Hill?

Great Catch!

I appreciate the sentiment, and certainly agree that native, S App Brookies are our "true native" (not) trout, but I guess we should also disqualify any state records for rainbow and brown trout.

If we want to get technical, the only brown fish that should ever be caught in the Caney Fork has vertical bars on its sides, but the COE decided to intervene and foul that one up.

i think there should be two separate categories on them brooks, the smoky mountain streams and tailwaters.....as you fly fishermans know, a 10 inch brooke is very difficult to catch in the streams, but a 10 inch brook in the caney is average....that is why the TARP brooke is 10 inches. it was meant for the streams......this changed when twra stocked them in the caney i think 5 years ago or so...now they are feeding on real meat, not bugs. or both

CATCHDAWG":3gffd7q8 said:
Simms,If you read the article it does state that it's a northern brookie. But yes, I agree 100% with what you are saying. We give high fives when we catch a 8" REAL brookie! ;)

And you should! Couldn't catch one that big in GSMNP this past weekend.

Let me play devil's advocate for the southern brookie purist crowd- as I understand it, many mountain streams and watersheds have received northern strain brookies at some point in history. The use of southern strains is a relatively new development, and many of the bigger streams that can support the biggest fish can not be completely purged of northern genetics. Additionally, most of these fish in these streams are limited in size because of habitat quality/overcrowding, as opposed to "inferior" southern genetics.

So who's going to tote a 12" brookie out of XYZ Branch instead of releasing it, just to find out it is pure N or N/S hybrid when the genetics come back, thus disqualifying it from certification? Or who wants TWRA (or NPS, USFS, etc) to artificially manipulate these streams to the degree required to produce such a fish? Or disclose the name of the stream it was caught in to get their name in the record books, inviting every worm dunker in 3 counties to their honeyhole?

That said, none of the Mtn trout purists I have ever known struck me as the "record book" type, and I thinks that's a great thing! I'm a smallmouth creek fisherman who lives slap between Center Hill and Dale Hollow, and I have no problem with lake fish in a totally artificial environment competing in the same record book that no brown fish from a free-flowing, natural stream will ever scare.

For the sake of a good discussion, I'll bite.

But, Before I address your questions, I do want to explain myself a little. I firmly believe Sasa Krezic's fish should be the new state record. He caught it fair and square according to the requirements set by TWRA. I was sincere in my congratulations. That is an awesome fish and should be recognized as such. But............. I don't believe it should have been there in the first place. Some things in life shouldn't be "made easy" for the sake of the masses. Catching brook trout is something that should require some effort. Tailwaters are a very unnatural but necessary environment. The ideal fish for them is a cold water fish (trout). So, why not stock rainbows and browns. Both of these are not natural fish for the area and thrive in the environment.

Let me play devil's advocate for the southern brookie purist crowd- as I understand it, many mountain streams and watersheds have received northern strain brookies at some point in history. The use of southern strains is a relatively new development, and many of the bigger streams that can support the biggest fish can not be completely purged of northern genetics. Additionally, most of these fish in these streams are limited in size because of habitat quality/overcrowding, as opposed to "inferior" southern genetics.
This is correct I'm not sure what TWRA's stance is on restocking southern strain brook trout is, but I do know the National Park Service has said that they have just a very limited number of streams left that they can restock with the southern strain and keep the genetic pure. There needs to be some sort of barrier (waterfall) that keeps the unwanted genetics below where they would restock. The southern strain will never be a "big river" type of fish.

So who's going to tote a 12" brookie out of XYZ Branch instead of releasing it, just to find out it is pure N or N/S hybrid when the genetics come back, thus disqualifying it from certification?
There's a few in every crowd that would. I like to eat fish and regularly haul out 5 7" fish for dinner (more of a snack). The streams are overpopulated and keeping fish only improves the fish quality. If I caught a 12" fish, it would be carried out, but eaten instead of measured.

Or who wants TWRA (or NPS, USFS, etc) to artificially manipulate these streams to the degree required to produce such a fish?
No one would. If brook trout would have never been tossed in the tailwaters to begin with, the records wouldn't be artificially inflated and a 10" brook trout would still be considered a trophy.

Or disclose the name of the stream it was caught in to get their name in the record books, inviting every worm dunker in 3 counties to their honeyhole?
If I told you where I fished, I'd have to kill you. :mrgreen: In all honesty, I don't just "hand-out" my spots, but both TWRA and the National Park have maps detailing where southern strain brook trout have been genetically proven to exist. I would also take about anyone fishing if they wanted to go catch some. We'd even eat them streamside, cooked on a stick over a fire.

That said, none of the Mtn trout purists I have ever known struck me as the "record book" type, and I thinks that's a great thing!
I wouldn't know a state record, world record, or even a TARP fish if it swam up and bit me on the ass. I have no interest in it.

I'm a smallmouth creek fisherman who lives slap between Center Hill and Dale Hollow, and I have no problem with lake fish in a totally artificial environment competing in the same record book that no brown fish from a free-flowing, natural stream will ever scare.
I offered to take you fishing, when are we going to catch some smallmouth? :super:

Latest posts

Back