• Help Support TNDeer:

Building ground blinds on public land

Rackseeker

I was wondering if anyone builds ground blinds on public land. When I say ground blinds I mean out of old dead limbs and what ever I can find in the woods. I have a place on public land that I usually take my daughter to hunt on the youth hunt. The last two years someone has torn down the ground blind. Its a pretty good walk back in there to a natural funnel/ saddle. I just can't figure why someone feels the need to destroy a ground blind built out of old limbs and logs. I've never seen anyone else back in there but we usually only hunt in there during the youth hunt.

if you aren't killing plants to use for the bilnd then it's not against the rules. I have wanted to but haven't done it yet. Partly because I only drive an hour there to hunt or scout, not build blinds, and partly because I am usually too much on the move for a blind. Although it wouldn't hurt to have one for deer season, if I can take a day away from fishing to build a blind in a natural funnel area I know of.

I normally make a ground blind out of camo burlap and limbs, and if possible, put it inside a blowdown. Once the hunt ends, I simply bring the burlap out and leave the rest where it is....

never seen a problem with it or had anyone mess with it....

of course, I put it up a couple of days before the hunt and bring it out the last day...

bowriter said:
stik said:
i don't think it's legal on WMA's.

Of course it is. Why would it not be legal to arrange some natural materials. He isn't leaving a commercial blind.

"No person shall damage or remove any trees or other plants,dirt,gravel or sod from any wildlife management area or other Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency-controlled lands without specific authorization."

it's all in the interpretation. i was told it is illegal.

stik said:
bowriter said:
stik said:

Of course it is. Why would it not be legal to arrange some natural materials. He isn't leaving a commercial blind.

"No person shall damage or remove any trees or other plants,dirt,gravel or sod from any wildlife management area or other Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency-controlled lands without specific authorization."

what does picking up sticks and fallen limbs and tying them to something or leaning them up against another fallen tree to hide behind have to do with REMOVING anything?

would sitting in a fallen treetop or behind a blowdown be illegal as well..?

Bottom Hunter said:
stik said:
bowriter said:
stik said:

what does picking up sticks and fallen limbs and tying them to something or leaning them up against another fallen tree to hide behind have to do with REMOVING anything?

would sitting in a fallen treetop or behind a blowdown be illegal as well..?

you REMOVED it from where it was.

as long as you didn't move the tree top.

i'm just saying what i was told several years ago. may be true, may not. depends on the interpretation and the area i guess.

stik said:
bowriter said:
stik said:

The rule above says DAMAGE or REMOVE. I dont think moving dead tree limbs and sticks and stacking them has anything to do with removing. And if he is not cutting down live plant/trees he is not damaging anything.If you read and take that rule as it sounds like you take it you could not even walk in the woods because you are moving leaves and dirt with every step. Bottom line someone has found your hunting spot and dont want you to hunt it, thats why your blind keeps getting taken apart. I say built it back and not worry about it/them

If they tore your blind down I bet they don't want you hunting "their" spot...just trying to discourage you from coming back, is my guess.

What I'm doing isn't illegal, I just like this spot for the youth hunt. And with a youth you need something to hide the movement. A pop-up blind sticks out, and the deer seem to pick it out even if you brush it in.

Removing and rearranging are two very different terms.
Guess nobody ever has trimmed off a limb for a climber on a wma.

Latest posts

Back