• Help Support TNDeer:

Can someone answer this question?

Slaughter-06

Not a deer question but about Doves.
I have heard it all my life and seen it with my own eyes but I don't know why.
Where do all the Doves go when you get a cold snap?
and how far do they go?
and what about the doves say that are 100 miles or so to the north of us that get the same cold front, why don't they move on down to us?
Does one little cold front move every dove to mexico?

1) Studies have shown that doves from the midwest south to Tennessee tend to migrate to Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Some from the western portions of the midwestern states will migrate to Texas and Louisiana.

2) They go south. The migration has been described as "leisurely", with doves averaging between 50 and 100 miles per day.

3) 100 miles away is nothing for a dove to travel in a day, so to answer your question you would have to look at a longer distance. What happens 100 miles away may cause the doves to pass us right on by if we are having the same cold snap. However, it probably has to be a sudden change to over ride the innate migration behavior.

4) In actuality, the migration starts at different times for different ages and sexes. While all the birds from a particular area tend to end up at the same place, it appears that immature birds migrate first, followed by adult females then lastly adult males. the immature animals will actually flock together, leaving the parents and go in search of food before the actual migration begins. The movements of these flocks of juveniles may actually go north before heading south for the winter.

Doves are very mean animals, no sense of responsibility to the hunting public, flying so fast and ducking left and right, just ain't fair. I can call in and kill honkers but have never, repeat never, shot a dove in the air. I write it off to doves being so unsociable and stuff, ya Know? I actually took lessons to get better but the lessons never took.

Latest posts

Back