• Help Support TNDeer:

Caney 7/12 Night Kayak Fishing

MidTennFisher

Got there about 6:30 and fished until midnight. I started out throwing a Redfin and Pencil Popper into the boils hoping to get a big Rockfish. Not even a sniff so I headed elsewhere with lighter tackle and started throwing a Rattlin Rogue which is the big Brown Trout killer at night. Oddly enough, I hooked into my biggest Rockfish to date.

About 34" long and not skinny. I don't have a scale but I'd say it was easily 15 pounds and probably pushing 20. I was fishing with 10# mono, a 10# flouro leader so I had to be extremely careful not to let that fish break me off. It towed me all over the place. There was a nice couple who watched the whole thing from their johnboat and clapped for me when I finally landed it. They took the picture of me holding it so if you're reading this, thanks again for the awesome pic and staying out of the way when I was frantically yelling because I was scared your trolling motor was going to cut the line, I couldn't control that fish! :tu:

I let this one go because I'm told the smaller ones taste better. All the ones I've eaten have been around 30 inches. I like them but my wife doesn't. I kept two smaller ones in the 19-20 inch range and we ate one last night. I have to agree with that opinion, the smaller ones really do taste better.

Right at the end of the night I landed this nice barely shy of 19" Brown to cap off what was an awesome fishing outing. No fishing outing is bad, but some are certainly better than others and this was one of them.

Before I left I thought, "I'll leave my GoPro home, I won't catch anything good until dark anyway". HA!

Attachments

• 20150711_191137.jpg
    20150711_191137.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 20150711_191202_001.jpg
    20150711_191202_001.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 622
  • DSCF8150-1.JPG
    DSCF8150-1.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 622
Awesome fish, I might hit up Normandy this week instead of the caney, but still debating it.

Sent from the talk of tap

Latest posts

Back