• Help Support TNDeer:

carefull out there

WTM

saw 3 pleasure boaters hit bottom and had to be towed this weekend on KY lake. better safe than sorry, if you dont know a particular lake then better stay in the channel.

It was during Teal Season. We wound up getting out of the boat and pushing it back into the channel. One of the marker poles had been run over and we were off by 3 feet going between 2 islands. Water was down 2 feet from what it normally should have been on the island we hunted.

yeah and some back creeks are stagnated from turnover. hey but the asian carp are loving it. note to self, asian carp will ruin boat carpet and when you want them to jump you cant make them jump but when you dont want them to jump theyll knock you out.

my son and i looked like rednecks, me doing boat circles and him holding a big arse dip net trying to catch them. ended up with one about 15 lbs and gonna try some imitation crab cakes with the filets.

TNGunsmoke":i0fqfe52 said:
It was during Teal Season. We wound up getting out of the boat and pushing it back into the channel. One of the marker poles had been run over and we were off by 3 feet going between 2 islands. Water was down 2 feet from what it normally should have been on the island we hunted.

yeah there were 2 green channel markers that were on their side. thats were 2 was stuck trying to go across 3 mile from the main channel and the ski boat swung too far to the left of the bouy and hit ground where big bottoms starts next to the channel.

watch the ramps too. both ramps i used where in 2ft of water with the trailer backed all the way in.

WTM":2txtugvt said:
yeah and some back creeks are stagnated from turnover. hey but the asian carp are loving it. note to self, asian carp will ruin boat carpet and when you want them to jump you cant make them jump but when you dont want them to jump theyll knock you out.

my son and i looked like rednecks, me doing boat circles and him holding a big arse dip net trying to catch them. ended up with one about 15 lbs and gonna try some imitation crab cakes with the filets.

They aren't bad eating, but lots of bones!

Be sure to keep them cold, as the meat goes downhill quick if they are left out in the heat.

Good post WTM!
I was out this past weekend and weekend before and could not believe the amount of pleasure boaters and jet ski riders.
Funny you mention this, I run Lake Master and had restored defaults to update the software on my units. Set most of my settings back up while on land but always fine tune on the water, motored out to where I was going to fish (wide open water) Big Sandy area and got close to where I had planned on dropping baits but did not hit spot lock as there was hardly any wind. Got the poles put out and glanced at my graph that said 4 foot of water!! I thought there is no way it is 4 feet deep here and started finishing my graph setup but my depth didn't change so I stuck one of my 14' poles down in the water and sure enough it was 4-6' deep!!
I had drifted a mere 20' feet out of the channel.......
Sat there and fished biggest part of the day and watched several ski boats, toons and jet ski's zoom near by thinking any moment I was gonna hear the rpms of one shoot up and see mud fly!!
I don't think Ky lake is completely at winter pool just yet, close I am sure.

most guys in the LA marsh have seatow. There are so many shallow flats the guys who know what to do never come off plane kicking up a rooster tail of mud behind them. If you come off plane, you are stuck!

LOTS of lower units replaced down here :)

megalomaniac":uluecosy said:
most guys in the LA marsh have seatow. There are so many shallow flats the guys who know what to do never come off plane kicking up a rooster tail of mud behind them. If you come off plane, you are stuck!

LOTS of lower units replaced down here :)

its not the mud that we worry about up here. its the 60 year old stumps, gravel bars, huge slab stone pilings from the old rail road, etc. what people dont realize is that the lake is not the river channel and the lake was formed from flooding towns, farmland, timber, etc. and some of that stuff is still there. another thing they dont realize is it is always changing, sediment filling in creek channels and flats. its not as deep as it used to be 30 years ago. there are a lot of places right off the river channel that is 1' deep right now.

And a bunch of places 6 inches or shallower right now. Miss the navigation channels and you will be aground before you know it.

Latest posts

Back