• Help Support TNDeer:

Catfish die off

JCDEERMAN

We have 2 ponds on our property (right next to each other) that have contained catfish, bass and bream. There were tons of catfish last fall, but they have vanished. Every single one. We did discover 4 or 5 snapping turtles in there and will be trying to eradicate them, but I wouldn't think they could wipe out ALL of our catfish. A lot of bream and bass, but NO catfish.

Could it be disease? No one has been there without us knowing (even if so, they couldn't catch them ALL).

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

do you see any otter tracks or toilets along the banks or a short distance from the pond? thats about the only natural predator that can physically clean a pond out in short order.

WTM":m832klm4 said:
do you see any otter tracks or toilets along the banks or a short distance from the pond? thats about the only natural predator that can physically clean a pond out in short order.

Haven't noticed any. No flowing water for a couple ridges over - I am surprised the snapping turtles found these ponds. I will look this weekend, but I think we would have known if otters were there.

otters can travel for 30 miles or more across dry land to find fish. if its otters you will see toilets close by. it could be just some poachers that dipped it dry. my papa had some catfish ponds that had snapping turtles in them but never had a problem with them cleaning them out.

Besides the obvious, I had to google what an otter toilet was HA. I will look to see if there are any of these this coming weekend. Thanks WTM

MickThompson":2eiiktfl said:
Got any trespassing neighbors?

Fortunately and miraculously enough, we haven't seen a trespasser on our property in all the years we've owned it (this is year 20).

Knock on wood

MickThompson":262t3741 said:
Otters usually don't discriminate- they want to kill everything with fins.

Cats are some of the hardiest fish around too. The bass and.bluegill will usually kick the bucket first.

That's what is so confusing to me! Catfish are tough buggers compared to other species. We would have noticed them floating at some point if they died. No clue.

We were so excited about this year because the majority of them were going to be perfect eating size :bash:

JCDEERMAN":w5vw8kmy said:
MickThompson":w5vw8kmy said:
Otters usually don't discriminate- they want to kill everything with fins.

Cats are some of the hardiest fish around too. The bass and.bluegill will usually kick the bucket first.

That's what is so confusing to me! Catfish are tough buggers compared to other species. We would have noticed them floating at some point if they died. No clue.

We were so excited about this year because the majority of them were going to be perfect eating size :bash:

they target catfish because they are easier to catch especially if there any type of feeders operating. they are fairly intelligent critters but not that hard to trap. if you arent seeing any toilet signs, bones, fin pieces around the bank or at least an entry slide to the pond then its not otters.

Back