• Help Support TNDeer:

catman

bowriter

R.I.P.
Was going through a bunch of stuff in the garage yesterday. Anytime you are by this way, I have two or three openface spinning reels you can have. I believe they still work fiarly well.

Out of curiosity, I just went through the reels. I have seven that seem to me to be in perfect working condition. I have no idea why I quit using them. They are medium to light size and will work great with any line from 4-10#.

Sounds like a good replacement for the reel on my 5' 10" ugly stik. It's a med action but it's my lightest rod, I use 8lb line on it, and the reel has some problems that were made a lot worse on the beach. It still works, but I wouldn't mind a new one.

PM me if you'd be willing to mail one... assuming shipping cost wouldn't be more than the $15+ in gas money to get to lebanon.

PM me your mailing addy. If I think of it next time I am going to town, I'll mail them. Prolly cost about $6-$8. Take your reel apart and wash it well, then lubricate. Sounds like saltwater poisoning.

OK will PM you, as for my reel, it might have been the sand, but it's the bail arm mechanism that is messed up. could be sand, salt, or a combination. It has the EZ cast lever but that does not work anymore, I have to manually open and close the reel for each cast.

Football Hunter said:
you should manually close the reel on a spinning reel anyway,helps prevent line twists.
Not sure how that works, but I usually manually close them anyway.

another problem with my little reel is that the bail doesn't stay closed or open, it just slides back and forth so you have to make sure the line is in the groove before setting the hook or it will just pop the bail open because it's "loose" if that makes any sense.

Catman, don't know if anyone ever told you, but every day after you finish fishing in salt water, you need to hose down your rig with fresh water, particularly soak your reel. If you don't do that, you will experience problems such as you are now having. Reel will get to the point where it will not turn.

4onaside said:
Catman, don't know if anyone ever told you, but every day after you finish fishing in salt water, you need to hose down your rig with fresh water, particularly soak your reel. If you don't do that, you will experience problems such as you are now having. Reel will get to the point where it will not turn.

I did hose them down often while we were there. But I think I may have waited till after the reel started developing problems :/ Oh and the other reel, on my 7' ugly stik, was completely ruined because the tide pulled my whole rod and holder into the ocean and I had to snag it out with my other rod. But no worries, got a much nicer yet still affordable reel to replace it.

bowriter said:
Weak bail spring. Easiest way to cure it is to thrown them in a large trash pile and walk away.
Probably good advice. Even the very cheapest, made in Vietnam, reels now have multiple ball bearings, and are far superior to what was the state of the art not too many years ago. I just bought two Daiwa outfits from Richard's for fifteen bucks a pop. Not because I needed them, but because they were so cheap, I felt obligated to buy them.lol 3 ball bearing reels, good equipment.

4onaside said:
bowriter said:
Weak bail spring. Easiest way to cure it is to thrown them in a large trash pile and walk away.
Probably good advice. Even the very cheapest, made in Vietnam, reels now have multiple ball bearings, and are far superior to what was the state of the art not too many years ago. I just bought two Daiwa outfits from Richard's for fifteen bucks a pop. Not because I needed them, but because they were so cheap, I felt obligated to buy them.lol 3 ball bearing reels, good equipment.

Yeah it must be a cheap reel... Shakespeare doesn't seem to have the best reels, I'll just stick to their rods now.

The new reel I bought for my 7' has 4 bearings and runs real nice.

catman529 said:
4onaside said:
bowriter said:

Yeah it must be a cheap reel... Shakespeare doesn't seem to have the best reels, I'll just stick to their rods now.

catman529 said:
4onaside said:
bowriter said:

Well obviously its a "cheap" reel! The rod and reel combo lists for $19.99 at Richard's and they've been on sale for $14.99. Its cheap AND good(for the money). That's the whole point. When it wears out, just throw it away and get another. That's the point that Bowriter was making. Some of these total deals are so cheap to buy nowadays that it does not pay to try to repair one which is on the fritz. lol

Latest posts

Back