• Help Support TNDeer:

Cheatam Dam

gobblinfool

So I took my son to Cheatam dam, learned how to catch the skip jacks from locals.

We saw a couple guys successfully using their bait fish that they caught.....to catch hybrid stripe bass I believe. My question is...are they tossing their bait and letting sit....or are they reeling in? I assume reeling in due to the speed of the river coming out of the dam.

gobblinfool":26pvnm1j said:
So I took my son to Cheatam dam, learned how to catch the skip jacks from locals.

We saw a couple guys successfully using their bait fish that they caught.....to catch hybrid stripe bass I believe. My question is...are they tossing their bait and letting sit....or are they reeling in? I assume reeling in due to the speed of the river coming out of the dam.

Are you in a boat or on the bank?

Cheatham is my go to spot for stripes/flatheads, but I fish from a boat. From the bank I usually see people catch them from the railing and they throw out and try to drift the bait through the current, its hard to let it set. I use a tri swivel set up with 2 to 4 ounces depending on the current and a 5inch to 9inch skipjack on a 6 or 7 size circle hook. Sometimes I set just on the break of the current, sometimes I drift from the outflow down to the end of the lock. Caught this one Saturday drifting
XbZ7gRE.png

We probably saw you out there if you were in the morning......so what you are saying is don't worry about the bait getting to the bottom....let it drift, when it gets to max drift, reel in and cast out again. I saw a few guys catch some good ones from that railing....figured I would do it again, but without my son, then watch what people are doing that works and copy. We are going to Percy Priest on the 1st with my father in law and 2 sons for stripers.....we did it last year and had a blast.....thanks for your input.

you are welcome. when I say drift, I bounce it off the bottom, I think if you can find a weight that gets it down enough to tap the rocks but not snag you should be good to go. from the boat if im sittin still I throw it out, bounce it along until it stops and I think its not snagged and let it set, not sure how well that would work from the railing though. good luck!

Latest posts

Back