• Help Support TNDeer:

Chilhowee Lake

bobthebowhunter

I live up in Townsend and the wife wanted to get some kayaks to explore some of the local waters. Headed to Chilhowee this weekend. I put together a little spinning rig to take with me, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what to throw up there. I don't know anything about the lake other than its cold, not super deep and they move a lot of water through it. What's the forage in that lake? Is is any good since it was drawn down for so long? Should I be going after smalleys, Largemouth, trout or what? I was just going to chunk a roadrunner around, but I thought maybe a small crawfish crank bait might do well up there. What do yall think? Thanks in advance.

Whatever you're fishing for, 2-lb mono or 4-lb flouro.
I'd go for trout, and you might fare better driving just a bit farther and doing your thing on Calderwood instead.

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/local ... /453771781

I used to do pretty well trout fishing Calderwood right around the area where Slickrock Creek flows into Calderwood.
https://coastalanglermag.com/slickrock-creek-nc/

Mistakenly thinking I'd caught a nice big brown trout (mouth of Slickrock Creek)
we had a camp dinner there one night with what might have been the TN state record brook trout.

Thank you for the info. Can you suggest what to throw for the trout without giving up your secrets.

I also assumed the draw down would have hurt the lake pretty bad. I just figured wetting a line would give me something to do while the wife tries to burn her skin in the sun. lol The company I work for actually bid the repair work on the dam. We were outbid by the big boys.

Also I noticed your location. My deer lease is just south of Dover. I actually just rejoined the club this year after a hiatus of about 5 or so years.

bobthebowhunter":7h9369ij said:
Also I noticed your location. My deer lease is just south of Dover. I actually just rejoined the club this year after a hiatus of about 5 or so years.
You Don't Say!
Imagine That! :tu:
Actually, if that's a pretty large tract, I know a game warden & an FBI agent (retired) who is on there with you!
Does another game warden live right on one of your property lines?

More than anything else, I used to catch my larger trout on Calderwood with 1/8 oz brown or white rooster tails using 2-lb test Trilene XL. If I went up to 4-lb test, didn't catch 1/4 as many trout.

I mainly fished for trout on Calderwood, and caught little else there.
Haven't been there now in several years.

Most fish are going to be small due to restocking.

But some fish should've been able to hang out in Abrams Creek and re-enter the lake.

Back