• Help Support TNDeer:

Climbing sticks?

Iglow

Well , since nobody was interested in that saddle deal I had in classifieds I guess I'll keep it but what about this. I've got a few climbing sticks from my hanging stand days, what if I just put the sticks in likely places and leave them then use the saddle ? Anybody done that? I don't care about lugging those steps around and fooling with them all that much.

I'd guess that would be fine. I've been seriously considering learning to do the one stick/rappel down method but with a hang-on. I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to do anything, just personal preference so long as it's safe.

Well , since nobody was interested in that saddle deal I had in classifieds I guess I'll keep it but what about this. I've got a few climbing sticks from my hanging stand days, what if I just put the sticks in likely places and leave them then use the saddle ? Anybody done that? I don't care about lugging those steps around and fooling with them all that much.
Ive got a few setups in traditional funnelslike that and works great

I'd guess that would be fine. I've been seriously considering learning to do the one stick/rappel down method but with a hang-on. I don't think there's really a right or wrong way to do anything, just personal preference so long as it's safe.
I love the one stick and rapel method

Doesn't leaving them in place kind negate the whole saddle hunting concept? You may as well have the platform there as well.
Nope, i can sit in my saddle all day, where a couple hours in a ladderstand or hang on i cant walk for two days, its all about comfort for me. The private i have i leave sticks in a few funnels that are used every year, and any where else i hunt i use the one stick and rappel method.

I've got 5 sets hanging on popular trails on a little private piece I hunt. Makes life way easier.

I do this on our farm. I dont always use them, but they are all set really tight to bedding areas and only hunt them if conditions are perfect.

Rappelling out of the tree has been the best thing i've ever done with regards to climbing trees. Plus its really fun 😁

Sounds like a great idea to me. Make it easier to slip in and out quieter. Maybe keep one set in case you wanted to try a new area and will have a set to use.
That's what I was thinking. Besides the fact that I don't want to fool with the ropes and steps/sticks with the 1 pcs stick that stays on the tree, I could slip in with the saddle and not hardly make a sound.

My original intention was to take my woodpecker drill and fix a few places but i never got around to it. I bought bolts and everything.

That's something I've done and should probably do more of. It works very, very well and I've yet to have failure from rust/decay or bending. They last as long as the tree.

Fooling with that saddle, I'm thinking the stick left in likely spots is the way to go. It just seems like a real quiet and safe way to hunt from a tree. I've seen where once you get the tether hooked up you take the climbing belt line off , I wondered " why?" It ain't in the way and I tied the tag end around it to snug it against the tree. Double lines connected at 8klbs breaking strength so falling is extremely unlikely.

When I've got my overhead anchor in I hook my bridge up then take the linesman rope off. Only reason being the bridge is a little bit narrower than the linesman on my saddle harness so I have more clearance. I have a hammock from Dryad I sometimes set up too for long sits so that's my "second" piece although I wouldn't trust it by itself.

Back